P47 Thunderbolt Wreckage.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ridge Runner

Airman
Jan 28, 2009
Dorset
Hie, here are a few pics of some wreckage I found in Belgium. I have relatives who live out there, so when I visit I go off detecting. There is a know spot where a P47 crashed (Heyd Ardennes) it has been well dug over the last thirty years. So then, I was happily surprised to find some interesting bits and pieces, one piece was the OIL FILLER hatch mounted front left about 8ft in front of the pilot. It is olive drab, with the masked of demarcation for the anti glare panel, so suggesting an it was a natural aluminium ship, bubble top P47D?. I did also find a piece of curved perspex which makes me sure it was a bubble top. Also the a corner piece of perspex with the right angle to suggest its either from the left or right front canopy. Anyone out there with crash records that could possibly identify the ship. Did he bail, was it flak, fighters? What brought him down.

Attachments

• p47.jpg
    p47.jpg
    770.8 KB · Views: 153
  • stuff 089.jpg
    stuff 089.jpg
    922 KB · Views: 129
  • stuff 096.jpg
    stuff 096.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 141
  • stuff 095.jpg
    stuff 095.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 137
  • stuff 098.jpg
    stuff 098.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 139
  • stuff 110.jpg
    stuff 110.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 132
  • stuff 093.jpg
    stuff 093.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 138
  • stuff 091.jpg
    stuff 091.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 129
  • stuff 090.jpg
    stuff 090.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 136
Hopfully some of our other members who have engaged wrecks with dates are reading this and could help...

BTW any chance of getting a photo of the reverse side of the larger door? (oil filler)

Hie, there is the other side of the Oil Filler hatch, its not very clear, it was laying this way up for 60 years, so is a bit pitted. Some of the numbers read, as follows: 89P63-295-2 (AS 29 circular stamp).

Attachments

• nob 059.jpg
    nob 059.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 124
  • nob 060.jpg
    nob 060.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 119
  • nob 061.jpg
    nob 061.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 106
  • nob 063.jpg
    nob 063.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 115
  • nob 062.jpg
    nob 062.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 121
Thanks Jim - yes, it's looking like that part is from a P-47. I'm trying to identify the stamps, they might be from a Republic subcontractor or some other Republic stamps never identified before. The hand written numbers on the other door might either indicate the panel number as called out in the illustrated parts breakdown or a codex matching the specific aircraft it was installed on.

Is there any way to confirm that either there were two wrecks in the same area or multiple aircraft were disassembled on the same spot?

Jim,
Very interesting stuff indeed. I'm Ricky and living very close to the crashlocation Heyd. May be you have all further info but here's what I knew about it. P-47D 42-29174 piloted by 1Lt Hederstrom Paul O-026222 of 9 USAAF/404th Fighter Group/506Th Fighter Sqn was on armed recce in St-Vith area (Belgium) on Jan 14th, 1944. Over target his plane was hit by AA guns. He remained unhurt but his engine had an oil leak. Returning, and already about 7 miles over friendly occupied territory, his engine froze up and he decided to bail out. Unfortunately his head hit the rear stabilizer. The pilot got down on his chute but he died of wounds the very same day in hospital. His was buried at the American War Cemetery Henry-Chapelle (near Liège, Belgium) plot C, row 9, headstone 21.
I am an active member of the local historical group, and my aim would be tho contribute by writing the story of this event. Therefore, I would very much appreciate all info from your side, e.g. pricise crash location, name and adress of your relative living in Heyd, etc ...
Lots of thanks for your input.
Regards ... and a very happy New Year 2015.
Ricky
(please post your possible reply on my mailbox: [email protected])

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread was posted here six years ago. The guy's last activity on the forym was two years ago. It is very likely he can't be on line for the next years.
Also I've deleted your e-mail address from the post above. If you don't want to get more of spam there please don't make it public.

A Happy New Year !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back