Personal Quest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

diddyriddick

Staff Sergeant
May 29, 2009
Hamlet, NC, US
I was wondering if any of you scholars might be able to help me out. I am looking for information on my uncle who was a copilot of a B-17. I've done some snooping, and found some limited info-particularly on the 303rd Bomb group's website. Here is what I know:

My uncle was shot down on the Oschersleben mission on January 11, 1944. He was flying aircraft #41-24562, Sky Wolf. He was in the 358th squadron of the 303rd bomb group. As near as I can tell, they dropped out of formation before the bomb run, presumably they fell to enemy fighter action. The aircraft crash-landed at Wolsdorf, Germany, and all but the ball turret gunner survived. All were taken into custody by the Germans and were taken to Stalag Luft I to sit out the war. I've found the group commander's report, but no squadron or individual reports.

Any tips on where I might go from here?

Not sure on where to find the reports but did find these pictures in Osprey's 303rd bomb group book

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
You might want to contact the association as well. Sometimes they can get you in contact with folks who know more that what you find in the records. The 303rd was the original "Hell's Angel's" and I believe that they had a 25 mission B-17 before the Memphis Belle. There is a huge history at Molesworth. I visited that base a couple of times while in the USAF in the 1980s. We had a Microwave link to them from Lakenheath.

Don't know if it will help.....

from "Half A Wing, Three Engines and a Prayer" by Brian D. O'Neill

pg. 231

"....303rd put up two groups; 358th put up two squadrons, high squadron, low group and low squadron, lead group. Emerson led low squadron, lead group in No. 562 Skywolf. Campbell led high squadron, low group....Group lost 10 ships; 358th lost four ships and five crews. Campbell, Emerson, Schwaebe and Dashiell went down. Watson bailed his crew out over the Zuider Zee - plane on fire - and landed back in England. Lost 865 and 562, all lead ships, all DR compasses and GEE equipment....."

pg. 239

"Also lost in the target area was Skywolf, the favorite ship of Capt. Don Gamble's crew. She was flown by Lt. A. L. Emerson on his 20th mission, together with the remnants of Lt. Bill Fort's old crew, who were about halfway through their tour. Lt. M. L. Smith's crew, flying B-17G 42-31239 in the No. 3 position of the lead group's low squadron, reported the Sky Wolf ''in distress at 20,000 feet in target area....peeled off although all four engines seemed ok. A/C was apparently hit on bomb run. No chutes were seen.' Sky Wolf was on her 60th raid."

from page 231 to 244 is all about this squadron's action during this raid. Hope this helps.

Thanks all for the help. I think I'm getting closer. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back