Petition for new USS Enterprise

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From wiki:

"The USS Enterprise, the oldest active combat vessel in the Navy as of 2009, had been scheduled to be decommissioned as late as 2014. On April 6, 2009 Admiral Gary Roughead, Chief of Naval Operations, stated that he would be seeking a congressional dispensation to speed up the process. Under this new timetable, the ship would complete one final deployment before being decommissioned in late 2012 or early 2013. This would temporarily reduce the U.S. Navy to having only ten active aircraft carriers through the launch of the USS Gerald R. Ford in 2015. The Navy's reasoning for the earlier decommission date is due to the cost of operating eight nuclear reactors, which consumes a significantly larger amount of funds compared to the two-reactor Nimitz class. The process of taking the ship out of active service is expected to take some time due to the ship's eight nuclear reactors. The Enterprise will be the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier ever to be decommissioned by the United States Navy. [17] If the waiver is approved by Congress, Enterprise would retire after over 50 years of continuous service."

I cannot wait until they do that. It's one thing to name Carriers after incredible presidents like Washington Lincoln, it's another to name them after non-incredible presidents like Ford and Bush. If you have to name them after a person, why not after somebody that actually fought on the front lines. I always that "Crazy Horse" would be a great name for a carrier.

I cannot wait until they do that. It's one thing to name Carriers after incredible presidents like Washington Lincoln, it's another to name them after non-incredible presidents like Ford and Bush. If you have to name them after a person, why not after somebody that actually fought on the front lines. I always that "Crazy Horse" would be a great name for a carrier.

And naming them after politicians who were basically nobodies .... like the Stinson or Stennis.

Maybe Bush deserves to have a carrier named after him because he was a naval aviator who did fight in some of the epic battles of that war.

And naming them after politicians who were basically nobodies .... like the Stinson or Stennis.

Maybe Bush deserves to have a carrier named after him because he was a naval aviator who did fight in some of the epic battles of that war.

Gerald Ford served in the navy during WW II also.
Gerald Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some pretty important battles on his career list too.

Wheels

From wiki:

"The USS Enterprise, the oldest active combat vessel in the Navy as of 2009, had been scheduled to be decommissioned as late as 2014. On April 6, 2009 Admiral Gary Roughead, Chief of Naval Operations, stated that he would be seeking a congressional dispensation to speed up the process. Under this new timetable, the ship would complete one final deployment before being decommissioned in late 2012 or early 2013. This would temporarily reduce the U.S. Navy to having only ten active aircraft carriers through the launch of the USS Gerald R. Ford in 2015. The Navy's reasoning for the earlier decommission date is due to the cost of operating eight nuclear reactors, which consumes a significantly larger amount of funds compared to the two-reactor Nimitz class. The process of taking the ship out of active service is expected to take some time due to the ship's eight nuclear reactors. The Enterprise will be the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier ever to be decommissioned by the United States Navy. [17] If the waiver is approved by Congress, Enterprise would retire after over 50 years of continuous service."

I wonder if they will scrap her? seems like scraping wouldnt be worth it... I think she's too big to keep as a museum and it would be too expensive to prepare her as an artificial reef. Once they remove the reactors, how would they get her to the scrapping location? maybe they'll just do what they did with the USS America:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_America_(CV-66)

americasunk.jpg

Murdoc Online USS AMERICA's grave

Sell her to Israel!

Comiso, I would think the Enterprise would be mothballed or put into a semi-reserve status for a couple of decades before scrapping is even considered.

Yeah... youre prob right but me thinks they will take the cheapest route and that may mean the same fate as the America.

It like to see them save the whole island though... it's so distinctive.

Don't remember exactly how many ships there's supposed to be in the new class, but I think that it was 5.

My suggestions,

1. USS Yorktown
2. USS Coral Sea
3. USS Midway
4. USS Enterprise
5. USS .........

I'd love to see another Hornet myself. Bring back the Carriers we started WW2 with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back