Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Shinpachi, here is a cell phone picture of the Japanese-made aluminum trunk we bought in the Tokyo PX. It is marked "AIKOKU" which is probably the manufacturer or seller's name; perhaps you know something about this company? As you can see, it is constructed of aircraft materials using aircraft techniques. The aluminum Has accumulated a little corrosion over the past 74 years so the aluminum alloy is not "Alclad" but probably some high strength alloy was used for the flat panels and a more easily formed alloy for the formed pieces.
We had to break one hasp when we lost the key. I may be wrong about the Mitsubishi connection.
"CPO" = Central Purchasing Office, "GHQ" = General Headquarters, "FEC" = Far East Command.

Attachments

• 20221022_155441[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221022_155404[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221022_155325[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Thank you very much for sharing so fantastic historical pictures again, manta
Aikoku looks like the Aikoku Industries Co Ltd (愛国工業株式会社) established in 1943 as a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The company is now called "Aikoku Alpha Corporation" as a leading maker of factory equipments for Mitsubishi and others.

Thank you so much, Shinpachi. You are a wealth of information! So the Mitsubishi connection is true!

The photo of the pilot in his fur-lined flying suit reminded me that when I was 10 years old living in Grant Heights (Tokyo) I bought a brand new suit like that from a small shop along one of the small side streets in Tokyo. The suit was a sort of canvas material with rabbit fur lining and electrical wire heating. I think I paid maybe 500 Yen for it. (360 Y per 1$ in those days).

Thanks for sharing an interesting story, manta
500 yen at the time would be about 100 dollars today, which was a good buy for sure.
Your story reminds me of this "Ameyoko" side street beside the Ueno Station. This was famous for such military surplus when I was a kid. The narrow and crowded alley is same as old times.

Ameyoko in 1949

Source: 戦後70年を写真と映像でふりかえる|ビジュアル年表 :朝日新聞デジタル

Today

This Nakata Co (中田商店) is one of the oldest ones there

Source: ミリタリーショップ 革ジャン 中田商店

Users who are viewing this thread