Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Korean movie "志願兵 (A Volunteer)"

Produced by Koreans for Koreans in Korean language and casting with Japanese advice in 1941.
志願兵00.JPG
志願兵03.JPG
志願兵05.JPG

Source:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbQrwjwiVg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Boulton Paul P.94 (prototype)
The unsatisfactory results shown by the Boulton Paul Defiant fighter in repelling German raids on Britain forced the designers of the firm to think about creating a single-seat fighter with reinforced wing weapons. For these purposes, it was decided to convert the prototype Defiant (K8310). The second cockpit, a machine gun turret and twelve wing machine guns were removed from the aircraft (a variant was also considered with arming the plane with four 20-mm cannons and four machine guns).

The first prototype of the aircraft, which received the designation P.94 , was ready in 1940. He, like Defiant Mk.I, was equipped with the Rolls-Royce Merlin III engine, and the second prototype was already given the Rolls-Royce Merlin XX. To the chagrin of the designers of Boulton Paul, the whole complex of tests could not be completed due to the lack of qualified pilots involved in combat units to repel German raids. As a result, the project did not receive further development.
p94-1.jpg

I have a feeling the Kaga model was melted down for the silver. Interesting to see the original design though - similar to seeing the original design for the Lexington class which was likewise converted to a carrier design.

I don't understand why anybody would destroy models - *maybe* confiscate, but just outright destroy? There weren't many IJN ships left after the war - those models would have been perfect to help preserve the history without posing any threat or costing a lot to maintain. It would have been even better if someone had the foresight to hire the model builders, who obviously had extensive knowledge of the IJN ships, to create some more examples of various ship classes for future museum collections. I suppose there was too much animosity and bigger problems to think about at the time... but at the very least they could've preserved what was already built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back