Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agreed, David.

One of Yamato's main turrets under building circa 1940.
01_Main turret.jpg
02_Main turret_side.jpg
03_Yamato_under_construction.jpg

Source: 戦艦 大和・武蔵 建造から就役、海戦、沈没までの実写画像まとめ - NAVER まとめ

The IJN destroyer Amagiri.
This ship crashed JFK's PT boat in the early morning of August 2, 1943.
amagiri-1930-1s.jpg

Source: 天霧【綾波型駆逐艦 五番艦】

Letter to JFK by Kohei Hanami
Former commander of the destroyer "AMAGIRI" dated September 15, 1952

"..... In one of the night battle in early August 1943, I sighted a bold enemy boat of small size was heading directly toward my destroyer of a larger type. Having no time to exchange gunfires as ships came so close to each other, my destroyer had to directly hit the enemy boat, slicing in two. To my great surprise this boat happened to be the P.T. boat which was under your command....."
Source: ケネディ下院議員にあてた花見元艦長の手紙

Lt Commander Kohei Hanami
艦長 花見弘平 少佐.jpg

Source: 町長と大統領 昨日の敵は今日の友 - さくらの花びらの「日本人よ、誇りを持とう」

The 73rd Anniversary of Hiroshima.

Recent Japanese younger leaders seem to prefer such a new phrase as "哀悼の誠を捧げます。(Aito-no makoto wo sasagemasu = I dedicate my sincere condolences)" to conventional "哀悼の意を表します。(Aito-no iwo hyoshimasu = I express my condolences)" since Abe began to use it a few years ago.

The former is more rhetorical than the latter but sounds unfamiliar and strange to the old generation like me. The latter would be enough if one feels true condolences.

Hiroshima_2018_a.JPG
Hiroshima_2018_b.JPG
Hiroshima_2018_c.JPG

This is update.

In the postwar, the Ro-500 was sunk in the Wakasa Bay of Kyoto Prefecture facing to the Sea of Japan by the Allies but was discovered together with other 2 subs recently. A clue to identify was a hole on the bow.

A former crew of Ro-500, Shigeru Kosaka (92), was asked comment about this discovery on TV.
"I am neither sad nor glad. We were defeated by Americans and they sank it there. That was all for me. War is no good."

Ro-68, I-121 and Ro-500 in Wakasa Bay waiting for disposal in April 1946.
Ro-68_I-121_Ro-500.JPG

Ro-500 Bow.
Ro-500_.JPG

Ro-500 on the seabed.
Ro-500_Bow.JPG

Shigeru Kosaka.
Shigeru_Kosaka.JPG

Source: Osaka MBS Mainichi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back