Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Impressive. It is a beautiful aircraft. Reproductions or new builds should be seen at airshows along with the Yaks and Polikarpovs. The Russian builders who are making these airplanes are reportedly building a Kate using remains of one ,as a pattern, found on an island north of Japan's main islands. The airfield had a very few unflyable planes from the war years and the island has been unused since the Russians took it.

Aichi D4Y circa 1944.

Aichi D4Y_69a.JPG
Aichi D4Y_69b.JPG

Source: Famous Airplanes of the World No.69

Great pictures everyone!

Special thanks to Shinpachi Shinpachi for providing the source material from Japan. The pictures remind me a lot of what was accomplished by Shattered Sword when the authors decided to consult Japanese scholarship on the Battle of Midway - it corrected a lot of misconceptions which persisted in Western sources. Although some consider the historical work concerning WW2 to be largely 'done', I think there is a huge treasure trove of information from Japan which remains to be made available to North American and European audiences.

For most of the non-Japanese pictures, I feel that if I tried hard enough, I *could* find them myself. As for the Japanese sourced photos.... I don't know where I'd even begin. Anyone else get that feeling?

Fantastic information. The assembly pictures are great. Is the source Koku-Fan. I had a paperback book by a Japanese admiral, whose name I can't remember, which was very informative on the Japanese strategy and tactics. It was an English translation long out of print and I was only half way through when I lost it. From the Japanese point of view, it was incredible informative and would like to find another. Give me guesses about title and author. Keep these great photos coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back