Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Japanese homeland radar warning network
japane11.jpg

This is becoming a "Picture of the Minute" thread as the other one turned out. Time for me to move on. It's a great Idea for a thread Shinpachi but it deviated from your main intention - information from the Asian perspective of the conflict

Thanks Geo.
My intention was anybody would not be blamed to post multiple pics at a time as I was blamed in the other thread.
I am glad to see more members posting here.

The picture of the Cherry Blossoms reminds me of what I read in Blossoms in the Wind.

A newly trained pilot on transferring to a Ohka squadron exclaimed when he saw one for the first time. "it looks like a bomb with wings on it! "

One of the ground crew working on it replied " Well sir, that's because that's exactly what it is "

Great pictures everyone!

Special thanks to Shinpachi Shinpachi for providing the source material from Japan. The pictures remind me a lot of what was accomplished by Shattered Sword when the authors decided to consult Japanese scholarship on the Battle of Midway - it corrected a lot of misconceptions which persisted in Western sources. Although some consider the historical work concerning WW2 to be largely 'done', I think there is a huge treasure trove of information from Japan which remains to be made available to North American and European audiences.

For most of the non-Japanese pictures, I feel that if I tried hard enough, I *could* find them myself. As for the Japanese sourced photos.... I don't know where I'd even begin. Anyone else get that feeling?

Thanks for the compliments, YGBSM.
I'm much honored.

Fantastic information. The assembly pictures are great. Is the source Koku-Fan. I had a paperback book by a Japanese admiral, whose name I can't remember, which was very informative on the Japanese strategy and tactics. It was an English translation long out of print and I was only half way through when I lost it. From the Japanese point of view, it was incredible informative and would like to find another. Give me guesses about title and author. Keep these great photos coming.

Thanks ed.
My picture sources at the moment are Mechanic of World Aircraft and Famous Airplanes of the World.
You might be talking about a Japanese admiral, Raizo Tanaka (1892-1969), for his victory of the Battle of Tassafaronga but his reputation was not necessarily good in my country as he did not complete his main mission - sending food to the soldiers on the island.

One of the best admirals of IJN would be Masatomi Kimura (1891-1960) who saved 5,200 garrison from Kiska.
Tamon Yamaguchi (1892-1942) is also famous for the PH.

Last edited:
302-ku at Atsugi airfield in 1945.

Master of repair 2nd Lt. Motobayashi.
01_Master of repair.JPG

Sgt. Ryuji Yagi in the Zero cockpit.
02_Sgt. Ryuji Yagi.JPG

P1Y1 under maintenance.
03_P1Y1.JPG

Sgt. Yamamoto and his J1N1.
04_Sgt. Yamamoto.JPG

P1Y1 and J1N1s.
05_P1Y1 and J1N1s.JPG

Lt. Yoshimichi Baba and his D4Y2-S.
06_Lt. Yoshimichi.JPG

Source: Koku Fan Illustrated 97-10 No.96 "302-ku"

Yokosuka P1Y1 in assembly line of probably Nakajima circa 1944.

P1Y1_Assembly.JPG

Source: 知られざる軍用機開発(下巻)酣燈社 (Unknown Military Aircraft Development Vol.2 by Kantohsya)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back