Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kawanishi N1K1-J assembly line circa 1942.

N1K1-J_01.jpg
N1K1-J_02.jpg
N1K1-J_03.jpg
N1K1-J_04.jpg
N1K1-J_05.jpg
N1K1-J_06.jpg

Source: Unknown

Gotha P-60A was planned as a radical new German fighter plane but apparently never got past wind tunnel stages. Power plants were to be two BMW 003 jet units, one mounted over craft's center section and one underneath. Crew would lie prone in wing's center portion. Four Mk 108 30-mm cannon were to comprise armament. Though shown in sketch, vertical directional control elements, mounted near wing tips, were to be discarded. With a gross weight of 16,424 lbs, estimated top speed was 593 mph.
p-60a.png

AAF TRANSLATION NO.525 COMPARISONS OF THE 8-229 AND THE GO P-60 ALL-WING AIRPLANES

Last edited:
I have a question for Shinpachi. In post 1587 Picture five the fixture for the former has the western letters N1K1-J. This using western letters for designation has puzzled me since reading the book "General view of Japanese military aircraft in the Pacific war" in 1956. The volume in Japanese text uses English or western letter designations and notes for example "900 hp". I have always wondered why this is in Japanese text.

Interesting question, special ed.
Since the mid-19th century, Japanese intellectual people had been familiar with Roman letters to learn western culture like politics and science.
Even ordinary people thought it cool to speak English, French or German until the Pacific War broke out.
Frankly, it was too late to ban the enemy language excusing the war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back