Picture of the Day - Miscellaneous

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nakajima Aircraft's Ohya Underground Factory.
Ki-84s were built there.

Nakajima-Ohtani-1945a.jpg
Nakajima-Ohtani-1945b.jpg
Nakajima-Ohtani-1945c.jpg

Source:
宇都宮戦跡巡り~ 大谷地区戸室山地下発動機工場(2) - 徒然なる写真日記
大谷資料館 宇都宮の巨大地下空間~採石場跡(四式戦闘機「疾風」地下工場)見学その2

Today -
36236861582_edf2a4d10c_k-1200x801.jpg

Source: 巨大地下空間 – 大谷資料館 –

In the USAF academy library there is a twelve volume (I think) series on the Strategic bombing of Japan. One very impressive picture and story, to me, was an island where tunnels went to the center, an extinct volcano, like the spokes of a wheel. Parts were brought by submarine, taken in and an A6M5 assembled, test run,wings disassembled and moved out on rails in the big tunnel, wings reinstalled and flown off the beach. The photo showed a partially built aircraft inside.

Interesting pictures Shinpachi.
US and Australian troops practice a beach landing at HMAS Assault complete with a vengeance air attack.
View attachment 355050 View attachment 355051 View attachment 355052 View attachment 355054 View attachment 355055 View attachment 355056
Wildcat,

Back on Aprill 11, 2005 you posted two photos of a Vultee Vengeance doing a practice runs in preparation for combat. Do you still have these photos and in resolution? I'm doing a bit of research on the Vengeance and would love to get hi-res copies of those two photos. You can contact me at ag122651 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks in advance.

AlanG

In the USAF academy library there is a twelve volume (I think) series on the Strategic bombing of Japan. One very impressive picture and story, to me, was an island where tunnels went to the center, an extinct volcano, like the spokes of a wheel. Parts were brought by submarine, taken in and an A6M5 assembled, test run,wings disassembled and moved out on rails in the big tunnel, wings reinstalled and flown off the beach. The photo showed a partially built aircraft inside.

Rabaul ?
I'm curious too.

It was 1959 or 1960, probably 60. The series was a US govt produced set and I could lose myself in the reading and pictures. I would like to go back to look again. The library had Janes All the World's Aircraft every year beginning with 1926. So much info but so little time.

Most likely not Rabaul. It was a small island chosen, most likely, because it was ignored by the US recon. and considered uninhabited.

Wildcat,

Back on Aprill 11, 2005 you posted two photos of a Vultee Vengeance doing a practice runs in preparation for combat. Do you still have these photos and in resolution? I'm doing a bit of research on the Vengeance and would love to get hi-res copies of those two photos. You can contact me at ag122651 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks in advance.

AlanG
Hi Alan. Those pictures are from the Australian War Memorial site. I believe you can purchase them from there, just quote the photo reference number that is shown on the bottom right corner.
Hope that helps mate.

Most likely not Rabaul. It was a small island chosen, most likely, because it was ignored by the US recon. and considered uninhabited.

Frankly, your story reminds me of an old comic magazine "冒険王 (Boken-Oh = Adventure King)" in the early 1960s when I was a kid.
It introduced a Japanese secret underground base on an isolated island in the sourthern Pacific. I thought it was fiction and could be so though I think I may need more careful reseach.

"ゼロ戦レッド (Zero-sen Red = Zero Fighters in Red)" in the early 1960s.
M_image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back