Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-487-3066-04,_Flugzeug_Messerschmitt_Me_109.jpg

the Internet

Last edited:
Why are they flying the German flag?

These flags were picked up as a trophy from the captured German cutters "Argentina" and "Panagia". Therefore these were hoisted with the Jolly Roger on the periscope while the Polish Navy flag was still seen on the flagpole at the top back submarine conning tower.

Therefore these were hoisted with the Jolly Roger on the periscope while the Polish Navy flag was still seen on the flagpole at the top back submarine conning tower.

Great photo and a continuation of a long history of submarines flying the Jolly Roger on return to base after a successful hunt. The Royal Navy first applied this to submarines as the RN submarine branch was derided by other branches of the service for being sneaky and underhand, one admiral equating the use of submarines as piracy, and the insinuation stuck, the submariners embraced their notoriety.

Another one was the tradition of tying a broomstick to the periscope as the sub returned to port, this came from Dutch Admiral Tromp who claimed he had "swept the enemy from the sea", and combined with the Jolly Roger became a submarine staple. After the British nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror had sunk the Argentine cruiser General Belgrano, it returned to port flying the Jolly Roger. The flag is in the collection of the British Maritime Museum at Greenwich.

This photo was taken in a sequence and a follow-on image shows someone getting into the aircraft in Eric 'Winkle' Brown's book Wings of the Luftwaffe, with the caption "A Bf 109G-6/R6 serving with II Gruppe of Jasgdgeschwader 26 in France in the autumn of 1943. Intended for the Zerstorer role, the Bf 109G-6/R6 carried two 20mm MG 151 cannon in underwing gondolas."

I recently received a big box of photos that belonged to my Mother & Dad which included many that were taken in Japan when we lived there after the war when I was a kid. These are black & white prints, many very small but I tried scanning them at high resolution and they look surprisingly good. One is from Hiroshima showing my Dad standing at Ground Zero where the bomb detonated. Dad's note on the back states "Rubble extends for a mile in all directions". The other is the Mitsui shipyard in Nagasaki where the battleship "Musashi" was built. It was a 65,000 ton sister ship to the world's largest battleship "Yamato" which was built in Hiroshima.

Not aviation but perhaps interesting to someone.

Attachments

• Hiroshima Ground Zero a.jpg
    Hiroshima Ground Zero a.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Mitsui Shipyard- Nagasaki 1 a.jpg
    Mitsui Shipyard- Nagasaki 1 a.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Mitsui Shipyard- Nagasaki 2.jpg
    Mitsui Shipyard- Nagasaki 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back