Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Who would be a tail gunner. Hope he made it home.

View attachment 280521
I have a similar photo, but shows two people in the photo looking at this damage. The caption reads:
The rear gunner's turret of a 75 Squadron Stirling being inspected by S/Ldr. Dick Broadbent and W/Cdr. Wells, a visiting fighter pilot, after damage by a night fighter over Duisburg on 26th April 1943
75 Squadron was a New Zealand unit.

The Ducks would be for Decoy Missions.

They used the B-26 to intrude on a certain course, at the speed of a B-24, tricking German radar into vectoring interceptors. Once the "bad guys" showed up, the B-26 would put the throttle to the firewall and head home.

The one thing I don't know, is if the decoy missions counted towards the "25". (I suspect they may have)

Here's some interesting mission markers on a B-29 (42-24464) "Flying Stud II" of the 376th Bomb Squadron, 444th Bomb Group out of China 1944.

In addition to bombing missions, note the Camels. The Camels indicated flights over the "hump" aka the Himalayas.

The Hearts seen with bomb indicate bombing missions where they were hit by flak. There's also a pair of binoculars and above it, another icon that I can't quite make out.

Users who are viewing this thread