Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My Uncle, first on left, middle row, and the rest of his bunk mates is Stalag Luft III (VIIIB) taken sometime in 1944. Uncle Clair was a flight engineer in 78 Squadron RAF flying Halifax IIs when he was shot down on the night of Aug30/31 1943.
Jeff

That was taken at a stalag? The Germans would take a photo like that?

Why not? here's another one from the same stalag........... germans were kamera krazy and still are!

cheers,-John

John, I'm not doubting the info you have with the photos, but there are three glaring things which indicate that both photos were probably not taken at any Stalag.
1) All personnel shown are in complete 'Service' dress uniform, including ties, full rank and associated aircrew insignia (not normally worn on operations), and looking clean and tidy, with polished shoes etc.
2) They all look well nourished, healthy, and are smiling.
3) The hut in the background has brick-built 'foundations', without visible access to the void between floor and ground, and lack the exterior black-out shutters on the windows, closed and locked after evening 'Appel'. Huts in all German PoW camps were raised above ground, on brick or stone 'pillars', in order for the 'Ferrets' to be able to inspect the void for any signs of tunneling or other escape activity.

It's more likely that these photos were from an OTU course, or at a Squadron base.

While I cannot speak specifically to John's photo I can tell you on the back of mine my Uncle addressed the picture post card to my grandmother

From> Sgt C A Hunt
Stalag Luft III (VIIIB)
Deutschland

It is stamped on the back with the following in German ( perhaps someone can translate )

Fotoaufnahme geneh(cant make out the rest)
Dieser Prufvermerk gilt nicht fur
schriftliche Mitteilungen
Stalag VIII B

It also is post marked with what appears to say

Gepruft 88

I can also tell you that since I first posted my photo, I have been contacted by another visitor to this site who recognized the picture as his father is also in it. This other poster lives about 35 kms from me and has not only a copy of the picture but also his father's diary from his time spent at the camp. Small world.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread