Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Google translates as:

Photo Shoot approved
This certification mark shall not apply to
written communications
Stalag VIII B

another photo

ww.buckdenpike.co.uk/stalag8b.html

Airframes, maybe it is not a barracks hut but an admin hut.

I stand corrected!
It could well be a hut in the Kommandantur, which would make sense, and the last photo posted does show some 'forced' smiles, and, particularly with the Polish airman, third from right, front row, deliberate non-cooperation, in the form of a scowl.
I had heard about some of the early propaganda photographs, intended to show 'how well' PoW's were treated, when those without certain items of uniform were issued them, just for the photos, but this is the first I've seen.
Thanks for posting, the explanation, and apologies for my doubts.

Hannes Trautloft and his men of IV./JG 132 before the invasion of Poland, 1939. Bf 109E-1 Nr 4072 carries interesting red and white markings on fuselage and spinner.

Attachments

• HT.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 248
U.S. First Army at Remagen Bridge four hours before it collapsed into the Rhine. Note - other bridges were up by then and the loss of this bridge was not a setback.

Last edited:
The crew of B-29 Superfortress 42-24598 "Waddy's Wagon", 20th Air Force, 73rd Bomb Wing, 497th Bomb Group, 869th Bomb Squadron, the fifth B-29 to take off on the first Tokyo mission from Saipan on November 24, 1944, and first to land back at Isley Field after bombing the target. Crew members, posing here to duplicate their caricatures on the plane.

Unknown Wellington of an unknown OTU with a family friend third from left. These fellas would eventually join 429 Squadron RCAF together and fly 23 missions in Halifaxes.
From left to right

Bob Watson(the Skipper), John Tasuir, Norm Gillen, Bill Dion, Bill Ogilve and John McHugh. They are all gone now with Norm passing away in 2012.

Another angle for you matey....

Unfortunately, all were killed when "Waddy's Wagon" was shot down attempting to guide a crippled B-29 back to safety during a mission against the Nakajima aircraft factory in Musashino, Japan on January 9, 1945

A Swedish volunteer somewhere in northern Finland, protects himself from the sub-zero arctic cold with a mask over his face on February 20, 1940, while on duty against the Russian Invaders.

Another angle for you matey....

Unfortunately, all were killed when "Waddy's Wagon" was shot down attempting to guide a crippled B-29 back to safety during a mission against the Nakajima aircraft factory in Musashino, Japan on January 9, 1945

Good Lord... Reminds me of the picture of Guy Gibson's smiling damn buster crew de-planing with the caption "...none would survive the war." Absolutely haunting.

Users who are viewing this thread