Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Churchill had probably told him he was less than impressed at the first attempt at a catapult launched fighter to protect convoys.

Oh I don't know about that. It had to be successful because it was a Davidson who flew the first launch, and he went on to sail on one of the launch capable merchant ships.

Just sayin

If that smoke cloud is from the refinery they are going miss the target by a lot.

Why? They hit the refinery and its burning. Mission accomplished (sort of).
From the looks of the altitude and the distance of the burning refinery to the aircraft where the photo was taken, they are several miles away. I doubt the bombers would be making a turn over the target, since loitering in the area is begging for accurate flak and/or enemy fighters.

There must have multiple targets in the area otherwise these guys area way off course.

They hit the refinery. Closed the bomb bays. Took a coordinated turn, with a rate set for a group turn. Then headed back to base on a heading determined by the mission plan.

Great find. A picture of the plane several moments later has been a part of B17 history for many decades.

I have never seen this view before.

Are you thinking of this view Sys?

If I remember correctly, I think that the bombardier and navigator was killed, with the rest of the crew becoming POW....

Users who are viewing this thread