Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Japanese war tuba is a colloquial name sometimes applied to Imperial Japanese Army acoustic locators due to the visual resemblance to the musical tuba. The name derived from a misidentification, possibly in jest, of a historical photo from the 1930s featuring the Japanese emperor Shôwa inspecting the acoustic locators with anti-aircraft guns in the background. Acoustic location was used from mid-World War I to the early years of World War II for the passive detection of aircraft by picking up the noise of the engines.

Adler, I'm not sure, I can't remember; the T-34 you're talking about might be the same as the first one, I don't know, but I do know there was one that was mounted in the Tiergarten that was turned into an art piece. I have to find my Berlin photos to find out what the Cyrillic writing at the base of the one at Karlshorst says. It has to be of some significance if it was put on a plinth.

Just as an addition, I looked up its location in a book I have; the first T-34 into Berlin was removed from the shot in the pic, located to the side of Potsdamer Strasse at Zehlendorf, but it was moved because the Soviets relocated the road. In 1969 because of vandals, it was moved again to a new location and placed on top of another plinth and it was repositioned next to what became Checkpoint Bravo. It was moved once again in 1991 because of further threats of vandalism, but where to, is not recorded.

It does look like Jones, Mongrel.

Churchill had probably told him he was less than impressed at the first attempt at a catapult launched fighter to protect convoys.

That's Churchill's approving face, his disapproving face, his happy face, his sad face...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread