Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Royal Air Force Lockheed Hudson Mk VI (AE626) aircraft of the Middle East Communications Flight flying over the pyramids.

large (4).jpg

During World War II, it was reformed in 1941, from No. 1419 Flight, as No. 138 (Special Duties) Squadron. It was based initially at RAF Stradishall, then at RAF Tempsford, and was tasked with dropping agents and equipment of the Special Operations Executive inside occupied territory. Between 1 April 1943 and November of 1943 it included Polish Special Duties Flight, as a Flight C. It carried out this role until March 1945 when it was reassigned to Bomber Command, operating under No. 3 Group. It was disbanded on 1 September 1950.

Aug 1941 - Aug 1944 Handley Page Halifax Mk.II
Jan 1943 - Aug 1944 Handley Page Halifax Mk.V

Wiki

The term "ground fire" takes on a whole new meaning at the airbase of the 340BG when over 78 aircraft, mostly B-25 bombers, where destroyed on the ground in March of 1944.

Their attacker? The only thing that the Roman Empire actually feared: Mount Vesuvius.

This B-25 shows the effects of the hot ash and pumice that rained down on it, tipping it onto it's tail, buckling surfaces, burning fabric and melting plexiglass. And the airfield's name? Pompeii, of course :)

B-25_Vesuvius1944[1].jpg

P-38 Recon plane shot down over Greenland.
No one was shot down, she (and the entire flight) set down due to deteriorating weather conditions.

Glacier Girl, 5 other P-38s and 2 B-17s landed safely and all the crewmembers were rescued. Glacier Girl was the only aircraft recovered "intact". The other planes are either still lost (buried and drifting in the icepack) or in unsalvagable condition.

No one was shot down, she (and the entire flight) set down due to deteriorating weather conditions.

Glacier Girl, 5 other P-38s and 2 B-17s landed safely and all the crewmembers were rescued. Glacier Girl was the only aircraft recovered "intact". The other planes are either still lost (buried and drifting in the icepack) or in unsalvagable condition.

Thanks Grau. I must've misread the article. I edited my post so to be accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back