Picture of the day. (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was fascinated by the drama unfolding aboard the Japanese frigate.

Here's a zoomed view of the after section showing the various crew members:

B-24-vs-Japanese-Frigate_zoom.jpg

and the original that Sys posted for comparison:

B-25-vs-Japanese-Frigate.jpg

Anyone got an idea what this Blenheim is carrying. Is it just an overload of bombs with the bomb bay doors removed. When I first saw it I thought it was an F1 version with the 4 x .303s

Bristol_Blenheim_Mk_I13.jpg

It's a B.Mk1, and as the bomb bay was very 'shallow', and the spring-loaded wooden doors were in four sections, two each side, it was common to remove the doors when newer, larger bombs were loaded, in this instance what appear to be 250lb examples. The aircraft was designed when existing stocks of bombs were either first World war surplus, or still of smaller size and weight.

It's a B.Mk1, and as the bomb bay was very 'shallow', and the spring-loaded wooden doors were in four sections, two each side, it was common to remove the doors when newer, larger bombs were loaded, in this instance what appear to be 250lb examples. The aircraft was designed when existing stocks of bombs were either first World war surplus, or still of smaller size and weight.

I thought the Blenheim only carried 1,000 pounds of bombs if they are 250 pounders then its carrying what looks like at least 5 possibly more. Played about with the original but it doesnt have enough detail to see better.

Bristol_Blenheim_Mk_I13 - Copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back