Pictures of Cold War aircraft. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The National Museum of Nuclear Sciences and Technology Albuquerque NM has some great displays, Included is this B-47E and B-52B, this aircraft (B-52) dropped an H- bomb during the Ive series of test in the Bikini atoll area. Under the this aircraft is an AGM-28 Hound Dog missile.

The Museum has many of the casing of US Nuclear weapons on display as well and most of the ICBM's. Also and three of the four casings for the B28 nuclear weapons released over Palomares, Spain in 1966 when a B-52 on chrome dome mission and a KC-135 had a mid air mishap
2017-12-29_11-34-09_000.jpeg
2017-12-29_11-34-24_000.jpeg
2017-12-29_11-37-00_000.jpeg

Y'all see that domed glass piece of equipment in the aft canopy on the F-84? The F-86 had it, too. I saw one reference work describe that as a "light", presumably a rotating beacon. Now, putting the aircraft rotating beacon under the cockpit canopy would quite possibly be the worst idea ever devised. In reality that is the ARN-6 automatic direction finder antenna. In the F-80C it was under that upper black section of the nose, but it needed to be out where it could receive the radio signals and so they put it under the bubble canopy in the other aircraft. I think the cabin outflow valve is located in the rear canopy, also.

T-birds used F-84Gs and had reinforced canopies. I can't remember why, but there were other improvements. The last model of the straight wing F-84s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back