Pilot trapped for 5h in cockpit of USAF's new $135m F-22A Raptor after canopy jams

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have any of you heard this old story?

f18fgunf22020lz.jpg

f18fgunf22031pc.jpg

The Super Hornet guns down the F-22 Raptor - Above Top Secret Conspiracy Community

Alert 5 - Military Aviation News: F/A-18F guns down F-22A

This gun kill picture is from the HUD recorder of a VFA-11 Super Hornet taken during a Red Air exercise. The black box on the top left is an event marker to show that the trigger was squeezed.

I wouldn't doubt it. The F-22 is not invincible, but properly staged is a silver bullet. Once the furball begins the F-22 likely only has marginal advantages over other latest generation fighters. If you see it, you can shoot it. Put it in its element (ie long range detection) and this scenario becomes much different.

But remember, F-18 Super Hornet has AESA radar. And notice he's gone guns. :)

I read an article by one of the guys who designed the F16 and a military expert in which one of them said that the F22 had compromised its maneuvrability with its stealthy airframe. One of them claimed that alot of the 60s/70s designs (Mig 29, Su 27, F16 and F15) could outmaneuver it in a dogfight and that beyond visual range engagements suffered from a very low hit probability due to ECM, flares and maneuvering.

One guy said that since the F22 airframe was originally designed in the late 80s, surely theres a risk that fighter radar technology will soon be able to detect the F22 at long ranges

Perhaps. But I rather doubt that soon means in the next 10-15 years. but it is inevitable.

I read an article by one of the guys who designed the F16 and a military expert in which one of them said that the F22 had compromised its maneuvrability with its stealthy airframe. One of them claimed that alot of the 60s/70s designs (Mig 29, Su 27, F16 and F15) could outmaneuver it in a dogfight and that beyond visual range engagements suffered from a very low hit probability due to ECM, flares and maneuvering.

One guy said that since the F22 airframe was originally designed in the late 80s, surely theres a risk that fighter radar technology will soon be able to detect the F22 at long ranges

I wonder how hawkeyes or awacs pick up a 22...

I heard that after the F-22 is gone, The USAF will simply switch to computer driven aircraft. No human pilots flying in the sky. Save on space and protection for the cockpit. Bummer for adventure.

Probably someday, a "hot-shot" pilot will be sitting at some military base and be looking at a computer screen with a vibrating joystick in his hand and instead of manuvering a Simulater plane he will be manuvering a real plane over enemy territory. Ooops, plane lost, game over, and you are now a prisoner of lunch time.

Then it will really be the Chair Force. :homework:

I heard that after the F-22 is gone, The USAF will simply switch to computer driven aircraft. No human pilots flying in the sky. Bummer.

Probably someday, a "hot-shot" pilot will be sitting at some military base and be looking at a computer screen with a vibrating joystick in his hand and instead of manuvering a Simulater plane he will be manuvering a real one over enemy territory.

Then it will really be the Chair Force. :homework:

Don't hold your breath - in the late 50s some USAF and Pentagon wizkids said that dogfights will be a thing of the past and all fighters will be armed with missiles.

A few years later a little situation called Vietnam proved them very wrong...

I think UAVs will be the next wave of the future and will be used in conjunction with manned combat aircraft.

He could have used the "eject" sequence??!! :shock: :shock:
Seriously, or...err...is the "eject" in the ol' Raptor a single sequence of events? Pilot hits the button and its all over but the landing??? :rolleyes:

He could have used the "eject" sequence??!! :shock: :shock:
Seriously, or...err...is the "eject" in the ol' Raptor a single sequence of events? Pilot hits the button and its all over but the landing??? :rolleyes:
The screws that backed out actually pined the canopy down. To do any egress sequence would of probably meant a lot of damage to the plane and pilot - the right thing was done, hook an AC unit up to the aircraft and just cut him out.

And FBJ is right. Manned aircraft are going to be around for a LONG time. What you are going to see is a more integrated use of UAV/UAS along with manned aircraft in a manner that will allow a significant increase in force projection, minimize pilot risk and maximize resource application to the mission at hand. Technologies that promote information exchange to shorten the kill chain, minimize collateral damage and allow near real-time BDA are the name of the game. UAV/UAS will serve a surrogate role to manned aircraft to make that happen. We have entered a truly new era. As I write this, civil regulations, policy and technical standards are being identified for UAV/UAS introduction into the national airspace system. However, for military tactical oeprations a gamer with a joystick winning wars solo is only a pipedream.

:lol: I meant in terms of just using their primary radar to track an F-22... what kind of return it gets...

That's highly classified. The F-22 is thought to have better stealth characteristics than the F-117 and probably as good as the B-2 at certain angles. I would guess that it would have to be pretty close to detect and closer still to track. At least I hope so. That is why it was built.

That's highly classified. The F-22 is thought to have better stealth characteristics than the F-117 and probably as good as the B-2 at certain angles. I would guess that it would have to be pretty close to detect and closer still to track. At least I hope so. That is why it was built.

Hence the term "wonder!" :D

We have discussed this on another thread. This is strange picture. Note the airpseed is 179 kts at 18k ft., angle of attack is 20.3 degrees !!, and the F-22 is passing horizontally by windscreen. I don't think this is a dogfight picture. The F-22 would only be a target for fraction of a second (enough, of course) as it flashed by. I suspect the f-18 pilot saw the F-22 crossing his path, raised his nose for camera shot. I don't think you can make a judgment on the manueverability of the F-22 vs. F-18. And besides, the F-22 is designed to get close enough to the ememy to launch missiles without being detected. This situation should never exist. By the way, does anyone know when the last real dogfight took place?

I don't know exactly but I would say it was sometime during Vietnam that the last dog-fight occurred. Although after Vietnam small rag-tag militia and that did operate old prop aircraft so it is difficult to say when definately and be right. But Vietnam probably contained the last official recorded dog-fight.

I don't know exactly but I would say it was sometime during Vietnam that the last dog-fight occurred. Although after Vietnam small rag-tag militia and that did operate old prop aircraft so it is difficult to say when definately and be right. But Vietnam probably contained the last official recorded dog-fight.
Do you really follow aviation? Since Vietnam there has been dozens of dogfights - Bekka Valley in 1984 is just one example!!!! The Falklands, Gulf War 1, Angola, the Iran Iraq War, that's just off the top of my head!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back