Pilot trapped for 5h in cockpit of USAF's new $135m F-22A Raptor after canopy jams (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You sure they were gun-kills and not missiles? Also were the other planes in the air at the time?

You sure they were gun-kills and not missiles? Also were the other planes in the air at the time?
Son, you got some reading to do, here go to this site....

Articles

There have been dozens of dogfights involving guns and missiles since Vietnam. For one, Capt Cesar Rodriguez had a twisting and turning dogfight with a Mig-29 during Gulf War 1. He flew his opponent into the ground. Read on some of the conflicts, there were plenty of dogfights since Vietnam.

Son, you got some reading to do, here go to this site....

Articles

There have been dozens of dogfights involving guns and missiles since Vietnam. For one, Capt Cesar Rodriguez had a twisting and turning dogfight with a Mig-29 during Gulf War 1. He flew his opponent into the ground. Read on some of the conflicts, there were plenty of dogfights since Vietnam.

Lol that was a very nice response. Very PC of you. :lol:

Without looking at that site, I recall a Saudi F-15 pilot named Al-Shamrani splashing 2 migs during GW I. I know there have been many air combat engagements beyond Vietnam. You don't have to have a major war to have aerial combat anyway. The Greeks and the Turks are good examples of that.

Don't hold your breath - in the late 50s some USAF and Pentagon wizkids said that dogfights will be a thing of the past and all fighters will be armed with missiles.

A few years later a little situation called Vietnam proved them very wrong...

I think UAVs will be the next wave of the future and will be used in conjunction with manned combat aircraft.

In Vietnam the missiles really stank. I can pretty well bet you that if the AIM-9 and AIM-7 missiles had the same reliability then that they do today, there would still be no guns on the fighters. Looking at the stats on the Persian Gulf War, there were few 20mm kills, like, maybe one? That's not much of return on carrying around nearly 1700 lbs of ordinance. AIM-9s probably only weigh 2 to 3 hundred pounds with rack.

There are a few missions that could be handled today with unmanned combat air vehicles (UCAV) with the technology available. Most air-to-ground mission could easily be handled, including strategic bombing. In another 15 to 20 years, depending on funding, most suppression of enemy air defences could probably be handled by unmanned launch platforms, the associated missiles, and probably manned and unmanned control/sensor vehicles.

This capability is fought against tooth and nail by the services but the cost of personnel in and over the battlefield is expensive, both in material cost and political cost and political pressure will move in this direction.

As for the need for highly manueverable aircraft, give me a F-15, maybe even a C-47 (i.e. any platform), a good sensor, and I will give you a missile that will reach out and out-maneuver any manned aircraft you can put against me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back