Planes you wish were in IL-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IL-2 1946 includes a very impressive array of aircraft, most of which seem reasonably researched and, IMHO, much more than one would expect, especially for its price bracket. One should be impressed by any flight simulation game that models two versions of the rare Focke Wulf Ta 152, two variants of the Dornier Do 335, two variants of the Bf 109K-4, the Zwilling variants of the Bf 109 and the He 111, three versions of the Nakajima Ki-84, and multiple versions of the game's namesake IL-2 ground attack aircraft.

Having said that, it's human nature to want more and I'm just as vulnerable to the trait as the next person, so here is my list of flyable aircraft that I would have liked to have been included in no particular order:

Messerschmitt Me 410, including the 50mm cannon variants
Heinkel He 219
Heinkel He 100 (given scarcity of reliable data, I surmise this is a difficult one to model)
Gloster Meteor
Junkers Ju 88C heavy fighter
Junkers Ju 88G night fighter
Junkers Ju 87D-5 and later variants (the ones with two wing 20mm cannon)
Junkers Ju 188
Supermarine Spitfire XIV, XVI, and later variants
Arado Ar 440 heavy fighter
Northrop P-61 Black Widow
Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star
Dewoitine D.520 fighter
DeHavilland Mosquito night fighter and perhaps a wider array of variants
Yokosuka D4Y Susei dive bomber
Nakajima B6N "Jill" torpedo bomber
Henschel He 123
Curtiss SB2C Helldiver
Hawker Typhoon
Messerschmitt Bf 109K-6 and Bf 109K-14
Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-12 and 190D-13
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-1, A-2, and A-3

I would also liked to have seen these bombers modeled, even if not flyable:

Martin B-26 Marauder
Avro Lancaster
Handley Page Halifax
Vickers Wellington
Heinkel He 177 and 277
Messerschmitt Me 264
Dornier Do 217
Nakajima Ki 49 "Helen"
Mitsubishi Ki 67 "Peggy"

Really want these planes flyable in IL-2 and PF:

SB2C Helldiver
P-61 Black Widow
F1M Pete
B-26 Marauder
and the Sea Hurricane.

Wonder if they'll have the Boulton Paul Defiant in Storm of War.

-Pong

I am surprised that 1C never included torpedo-bomber campaigns in IL2, despite the large number of torpedo bombers available in the game. The TBD Devastator is also sadly lacking from the starting line-up, although I understand a new Swordfish is now available for those using mods.

As FB covers the Finnish war, I miss the Fokker C.X and the D.XXI. In the NEI campaign, a real B339-D would be nice instead of the British E version (different canopy and performance). I would also like a CW-21.
An Bf109D would have been nice as one of the main fighters against Poland (as the pzl.11 is there).

I am surprised that 1C never included torpedo-bomber campaigns in IL2, despite the large number of torpedo bombers available in the game. The TBD Devastator is also sadly lacking from the starting line-up, although I understand a new Swordfish is now available for those using mods.

Yep, would have been more fun flying the TBF or B5N2 in PF.

Oh, and the A-1 Skyraider would be nice to fly in IL-2.

AD-1/A-1H Skyraider? Nice choice, even if it was designed after 46, although using all Douglas's WW2 piston engined aircraft knowhow.

Personally I also would have liked flyable Light Torpedo/Attack Aircraft;
B5N2,
B6N2,
Aichi B7A,
TBM - TBD,
Fairly Firefly
Fairley Barracuda,
etc).
Also having AI Heavy (or Medium if Heavies were rarer) Bombers from all the major factions would have been cool, to balance against the USAAF B17 - B29;
He-177,
Me-264,
Piaggo P.108
SM.82,
Cant Z.1007,
BR.20
Lancaster('s) MkII /or MkIII,
Short Stirling MkIII,
Nakajima G5N or G8N,
As well as a few Bomber Interceotors/Night Fighters?
Defiant,
P-61,
Ki-45/Ki-102,
Ki-44
Ju-88-G/He-219 (models/versions with 'Slanting Music') or Ju-188.

Most of the ones I wanted when I heard 1946 was coming out are either being done or are done, it was so disappointing after buying the game (it wasnt cheap in Australia when it came out, I paid $70 for it) and finding the fighters and bombers i expected in 46 not to be there, just some weird stuff

Meteor. maybe! the member at AAA that was working on it has departed, but it may be resurrected
Vampire/Venom. being done by Magpie, and his work is second to none
Whirlwind. being done by Magpie
Lancaster. being done by Magpie's crew
Hornet. alas, no-one seems to be working on this beauty
Wellington. Well this one was supposed to be almost done, but sadly its just faded away
Sea Fury. This is done but with Tempest cockpit for now. Its a speed demon, I love it!
Halifax. Beta is out there, almost done

And suprise suprise, for Korea

Sea Fury. sea above
Panther. done
F86. done, sort of
Mig15. done, sort of
Thunderjet. done
F80 Shooting Star, done, 2 versions out there, one with new FM one without

RAN Sea Fury over N.T Australia :)

seafuryovernt.jpg

If you go to AAA and look at the very top post, it will say Unified Installer. Download all of those and install them. Then you get all the planes you need. IE, the Me 410 A,B, and D. Even has the 50mm cannon, but has a 110 cockpit. but you can download a 410 cockpit from the same website.

Actually, the He100 wouldn't be very difficult. I've just about completed a set of new and/or upgraded drawings, for a magazine article. If I ever manage to contact Oleg, I'd be tempted to send him accurate body plans.

Actually, the He100 wouldn't be very difficult. I've just about completed a set of new and/or upgraded drawings, for a magazine article. If I ever manage to contact Oleg, I'd be tempted to send him accurate body plans.
I made a mock He100 out of a KI-61 Hien (not a mod, just a repaint), so the flight model is partially there, as the KI-61 and He100 were very close to each other.

The Soviets purchased 6 He100s and used them in thier design of the MiG-1 and the LaGG-3, the Japanese purchased and copied the He100 very closely as the KI-61, including a license-built DB601, the Ha-40.

Attachments

• He100_Spit1.jpg
    He100_Spit1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 276
The structure of the Ki-61 was indeed based closely upon that of the He 100. In fact, I believe that the Ki-61 was an improved version of the more conventionally constructed Ki-60. The He 100, however, was considerably smaller than the Ki-61. and it reportedly handled very much like the Bf 109. It's been a while since I flew a Ki-61 in Il-2, but as I recall (for what that's worth), the Ki-61 handled very differently from the Bf 109. It could just be my imagination :)confused:), but the Il-2 version of the Ki-61 actually felt as if it were larger than the Bf 109.
The canopy, wing, and empennage, and supercharger inlet on the He 100 differed from those on the Ki-61 as well, and the He 100 had a retractable auxiliary radiator. It occurs to me that about the only things the He 100 and Ki-61 had completely in common were the engine mount geometry, the adapters for the front engine mounts, and the configuration of the exhaust ejectors.
Another interesting feature of the He 100 was the engine cooling system. At any given moment about 10% of the engine coolant, distilled water, was in the form of steam circulating through condensator panels in the outer wings. Any battle damage to the outer wings would have been spectacular, and it's believed that the aircraft could have kept flying for a surprisingly long time while it trailed a steam plume or two. In Heinkel's opinion, an He 100 with holes in the wings could have kept flying much longer than a conventionally-cooled aircraft had taken a hit on a coolant line.

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I should have added that the MiG-1 and LaGG-3 were contemporaneous designs; neither was based on the He 100. (In addition to the timing, the He 100 was made almost entirely of aluminum, with a fabric-covered rudder; meanwhile, the MiG and the LaGG were each made almost entirely of wood.) Some features of the He 100 seem to have been used in Yakovlev's fighters; this seems apparent especially in the configuration of the main landing gear. The story about the LaGG in particular, however, is a myth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back