Possible Torpedo-Bombers?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

magnocain

Senior Airman
Oct 28, 2007
I was wondering how hard it was to set up an aircraft to be able to use a torpedo. With modifications, could a B/A-26 do it? an F4U? a B-29? a B-17? an A/T-6? a civilian float plane?
I was just wondering...

The A-20 could also carry one, as could some variants of the Mosquito, Ju 88, Lockheed Ventura, and I believe the Beaufighter could too. (it was also developed from the Beaufort, itsself a torpedo bomber)

The Fw 190F-8 could be equipped with a torpedo as well.

The P-38 could carry a torpedo (2 actually), but I don't know howaccurate it would have been and I don't think it was used operationally. (though the good stall characteristics, lack of torque, and large fowler flaps should have allowed it to be quite stable at the low speeds necessary for launching a torpedo)

I'm not sure about the Corsair or Hellcat, but they may have been able to, particularly given their ability to carry the Tiny Tim rocket which was comperable in size and weight to a torpedo.

The P-51 wouln't be able to (or any plane with a belly radiator) and the P-47 (and P-40) wouldn't have enough clearance under the fuselage.

I'm not sure about the Corsair or Hellcat, but they may have been able to, particularly given their ability to carry the Tiny Tim rocket which was comperable in size and weight to a torpedo.

The Hellcat I know was tested. I have two photos of a test bed hellcat with a torpedo underneath. The Corsair Im not sure. I do know they experimented with a wing design of putting a small bomb bay in the wing for 2 fragmintion bombs to drop on enemy bomber formations.

The P-38 could carry a torpedo (2 actually), but I don't know hoaccurate it would have been and I don't think it was used operationally. (though the good stall characteristics, lack of torque, and large fowler flaps should have allowed it to be quite stable at the low speeds necessary for launching a torpedo)

By midwar, the USN developed aerial torpedo modification kits that allowed them to be launched at higher speeds.

Accuracy was never an issue with torpedo's. If they worked as designed, they ran a straight and true course. If they hit anything, that was solely up to the pilot skill.

The Beaufighter was basically an improved version of the Beaufort,

Thats a bit misleading. The Beaufighter married the wings, engine and tail (though all in modified form) of the Beaufort to a completely new, smaller, lighter and slimmer fuselage resulting in a different aircraft altogether.

I know the P-38 was tested with a (dummy) torpedo (torpedo on the port bomb shackle, a regular fuel tank on the starboard one), but none were ever carried operationally. I'll have to dig up the stats but, apparently, performance wasn't much affected. I believe the ground clearance was pretty tight when taking off with a torpedo on-board.

ac43.jpg

Thats a bit misleading. The Beaufighter married the wings, engine and tail (though all in modified form) of the Beaufort to a completely new, smaller, lighter and slimmer fuselage resulting in a different aircraft altogether.

You explained it better than I did... :oops:

The engine was a more powerful version was it not?

I don't know if the Mossie was ever equipped with a torpedo during the war, but it was fitted out with Highball which was a bouncing bomb designed to attack ships. These were sent to Japan but just missed the war.

Wellingtons carried two torpedo's on operations in the Med, if thats any help.

The engine was a more powerful version was it not?

Yes, according to the big book of Bristols (Putnam, Bristol Aircraft since 1910 - but I like my version of the title better), it gives (in the broadest of terms) 1250hp to the Hercules fitted to the Beaufort and 1400, rising to 1750 on the Beaufighter.

It also mentions the Merlin engined Beaufort III. I don't recall ever seeing a picture of one of these, has anyone got one?

I believe the engines were completely different, the Beaufort using the Taurus (as well as the more reliable P&W R-1830 Twin Wasp) ranging from ~1,100 hp on early models to ~1,250 hp. While the Beaufighter of course used the Hercules. (which was considerably larger and more powerful)

That would explain the hp difference I mentioned then, maybe I should try reading the text as well. With it being a big book of Bristols I can hardly tear my eyes away from the pictures :)

What model torpedo was the P-38 cleared to carry? Was it the highly problematic Mk13 series or some other model?

Thanks.

Below: During the summer of 1943 this A-5 was modified to carry a dummy LTF 5b torpedo. To enable it to lift this load all of the guns except the two wing root cannon were removed and a lengthened tail wheel was fitted. With the torpedo and two 66 gallon (300 litre) tanks, the Fw190 had a take-off weight of over 11,400lbs (5210Kgs).
Tests at the proving ground at Hexengrund near Gotenhafen were not successful and the torpedo-carrying fighters were not considered suitable for operations. VFW-Fokker

Attachments

• Fw190 torpedo.jpg
    Fw190 torpedo.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back