Post models that aren't yours !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seeing the near complete fuselage, he urged me to go on and finish the model, promising that he would put it on display. I was flabbergasted, for when I started I had no inkling that my work would end up in a position of honour in one of the world's premier aviation museums.

As I write, the case for the model is being prepared, having been specially commissioned by the museum with a case-maker in Sweden . I have not yet seen it, but from what I hear, it is enormous!

In one respect the story has gone full circle, since it was at Hendon where I started my research in earnest, sourcing Microfilm copies of many original Supermarine drawings, without which such a detailed build would not have been possible.

The model is skinned with litho plate over a balsa core and has been left in bare metal at the suggestion of Michael Fopp, so that the structure is seen to best advantage. The rivets are real and many are pushed into drilled holes in the skin and underlying balsa, but many more are actual mechanical fixings. I have no accurate count, but I suspect that there are at least 19,000!

Attachments

• 3.bmp
    976.2 KB · Views: 72
All interior detail is built from a combination of Supermarine drawings and workshop manuals, plus countless photographs of my own, many of them taken opportunistically when I was a volunteer at the Duxford Aviation Society based at Duxford Airfield, home of the incomparable Imperial War Museum collection in Cambridgeshire, England. Spitfires, in various marks are, dare I say, a common feature there!

Error! Filename not specified.
The degree of detail is probably obsessive: The needles of the dials in the cockpit actually stand proud of the instrument faces, but you have to look hard to see it!
Why the flat canopy? Well, the early Mk.Is had them, and I had no means to blow a bubble hood, so it was convenient. Similarly the covers over the wheels were another early feature and they saved me a challenging task of replicating the wheel castings.

Attachments

• 4.bmp
    976.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 5.bmp
    976.2 KB · Views: 79
The model has its mistakes, but I'll leave the experts to spot them, as they most certainly will, plus others I don't even know about. I don't pretend the little Spitfire is perfect, but I do hope it has captured something of the spirit and incomparable beauty of this magnificent fighter - perhaps the closest to a union that art and technology have ever come - a killing machine with lines that are almost sublime.

Attachments

• 6.bmp
    539.4 KB · Views: 71
Truly, truly magnificent! An absolutely stunning example of craftmanship of the highest order, and who cares about the admitted mistakers? The one I spotted, the undercarriage selector, must have taken ages to build alone, so I'm not bothered that it should be a simple pump handle - it looks REAL!
Brilliant, thanks for posting it Matt.

I have found the model pocs in miniReplika magazine no.55.This is Mr.Sadowski Aleksander's model of Dora.He used the Revell/Hasegawa 1/32 scale kit.Of course, p/etched parts and Montex masks were standard additions the guy used.Also the author used metal wheels with rubber tires and exhaust pipes of Moskit Techno.

Attachments

• Fw190D-9_a.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Fw190D-9_4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Fw190D-9_3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Fw190D-9_2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Fw190D-9_1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Fw190D-9_b.jpg