Post ur Pic for Our New Member Mug Shot Album....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot said:
but european cars just don't last as long and for the most part when they break down you almost have to give your firstborn male to get it fixed

What the hell are you talking about?! Volks Wagen and Mercedes Benz last for ****ing ever!

You try and get out of a Ford what you will get out of those two.

For example a friend of mine owns a 1955 Mercedes complete all original parts, beatiful car, and drives perfectly.

I used to own a 1967 (believe it was 67, but not sure, cant remember), anyhow and it was still trucken 5 years ago with no problem at all.

I find European cars way more reliable than Ford, Chevy and so forth...

Me too...the technology and style of American cars is quite a way behind as well. Much nicer place to be if youre in something German or Italian than something American.

Japanese cars are the best hands down the worst problem I've ever had is corrosion. The european cars are pretty but not tough , but in defence of North American cars they are much cheaper to repair and purchase then European. My maintainence on my car a 90 camry 2litre with 295k is nil i check the oil when I see an oil light come on when on a curve. Please remember the driving in Europe is different then here . where in Europe can you drive for 2 hours and not see any sign of life

pbfoot said:
Japanese cars are the best hands down the worst problem I've ever had is corrosion. The european cars are pretty but not tough , but in defence of North American cars they are much cheaper to repair and purchase then European. My maintainence on my car a 90 camry 2litre with 295k is nil i check the oil when I see an oil light come on when on a curve. Please remember the driving in Europe is different then here . where in Europe can you drive for 2 hours and not see any sign of life

The reason theyre cheaper is because theyre made of cheaper, lower quality materials ;) Japanese cars arent quite the best, theyre very reliable and do everything you could want with a car, but European cars (Actually thats mainly German) do all of that and more. German are definately the best...

cheddar cheese said:
The reason theyre cheaper is because theyre made of cheaper, lower quality materials ;) Japanese cars arent quite the best, theyre very reliable and do everything you could want with a car, but European cars (Actually thats mainly German) do all of that and more. German are definately the best...
I'd actually take a North American car over a Mercedes or Beamer because I have no desire to look like a hip hop star . I had a job working for a beamer dealer once and the oil change better known as a service was about $300 dollars just a little more then the $25 for a North American car. I am not fond of North American cars but European cars just don't stand up they are not as reliable this is according to Consumers Reports a non profit organization that tests everything under the sun and is not influenced by advertising dollars . The monthly magazine does not have one iota of advertising thus precluding outside influences on their decisions
here the link for the best and the worst the Euro cars so not fare well
ConsumerReports.org - Used cars: Best and worst 8/06

Yeah but neither do the American cars... :lol: Mercedes arent exactly the best cars to judge, their reliability has suffered for whatever reason in the last few years. The older ones were bombproof. Several BMW's and VW's over here I know of have run well past 150,000-200,000 miles with no major problems. Mechanically, im sure the American cars are reliable, because they all have big, simple, unsophisticated engines. However the technology most of them use is the sort of stuff European cars had about 10 years ago. Naturally the higher complexity of BMW's etc make servicing costs go up, but US makes are less efficient, less economical, less satisfying to drive, less advanced and have no real passion. Theyre built by companies who just want to make money, not decent cars. Euro and Japanese all the way. (Most Japanese cars we buy are actually built in Europe anyway).
In our surveys the European cars always do very well compared to the American ones. Mainly because we dont get any American cars, because they know their products would flop over here :lol: (Cadillac and Chrysler are selling over here now, but I dont think ive ever seen one on the road.)

over here you are hard pressed to find to find anything French or Italian and as for driving its a mode of transportation the cheaper the better as long as I know its going to start and has heat for the winter and stops when needed . Is the German autobahn the only road system without speed limits in europe here the limit is 100kph but most cruise at 120kph without interferance from the cops. i find the new cars of all makes depressing because with the exception of few things your forced to deal with mechanics as opposed to DYI as I don't have the diagnostic equipment required. What do you consider a long drive i know if i drive west its a 21hour drive averaging 100kph to the western border of ontario the province I live in . You don't have those kinds of expanses to deal with in Europe so its the last place you want to break down in with an European car where the nearest parts place is a couple of hundred kilometres away

My long awaited picture has arrived. Please note that I have no picture editing software, so thats why the colors look weird. Also, those are my High school colors, so...yeah GO NDP!!

Attachments

• small portrait.bmp
    272.6 KB · Views: 116
pbfoot said:
What do you consider a long drive i know if i drive west its a 21hour drive averaging 100kph to the western border of ontario the province I live in

Hows that, From Edmonton to Vancouver is a 12 hour drive, which is either an equal or more difference, and I know how people drive in Ontario, youre almost forced to drive on average 120-140 km/h

um, pB, that's an american website and an american servey where the European cars were owned by americans who invariably take less car of them than the europeans, so it's not exactily un-bias............

pbfoot said:
I'd actually take a North American car over a Mercedes or Beamer because I have no desire to look like a hip hop star .

Um I dont look like a Hip Hop star when I drive my dads Mercedes C Class or Mercedes SLK. Thats just a stereotype.

pbfoot said:
I had a job working for a beamer dealer once and the oil change better known as a service was about $300 dollars just a little more then the $25 for a North American car.

Guess what. If you take a N. American Car to a shop here in Germany and you pay about the 300 dollars that you are talking about, but if you take a Mercedes or Beamer you pay about 25 dollars.

It goes both ways. The reason they are expensive in N. America is because they are imported, the same goes over here in Europe were N. American cars are imported.

pbfoot said:
Is the German autobahn the only road system without speed limits

The Autobahn actually believe it or not has speed limits posted in many parts of it. It usually is 120kph. Obviously there are areas that have not limit where you can drive as fast as you want. Had a Beamer at 210kmh on it before.

the lancaster kicks *** said:
um, pB, that's an american website and an american servey where the European cars were owned by americans who invariably take less car of them than the europeans, so it's not exactily un-bias............
I know I do zero maintainence but people mostly follow the manual as for the website aside from the magazine testing the cars themselves the results are bolstered by the readership who are asked yearly to comment on their vehicles it turns out its really very accurate to the point where they come up with a number you should anticapate to spend yearly on maintainence. i'll stick with my old locally built rice burner

Some places in Europe are pretty damn remote...If you're halfway up a mountain in the Alps and you breakdown (or something worse) then I sure as hell wouldnt like to be there...And Im so glad our speed limit is 70mph, that means we can get away with going about 85-90... :evil4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back