Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I understand SE.Have you had any problems with the assembling of the Mustang so far?
In my opinion there are needed some corrections for this model.

no not really, unti I came up with the 'bright' idea to dry the paint faster under the heat my lamp makes. warped the prop so I had to steal one from another kit. wurger, any corrections you have for my mustang is greatly appreciated. after all I am still learning :)

no not really, unti I came up with the 'bright' idea to dry the paint faster under the heat my lamp makes. warped the prop so I had to steal one from another kit. wurger, any corrections you have for my mustang is greatly appreciated. after all I am still learning :)

Did you use any 1:72 scale drawings of the P-51D to compare this model with?
I did.In my opinion the fuselage is short about 1-1.5mm.The mistake was made by Academy in the front part of the fuselage.Besides,the fin and rudder are too narrow and their edges have unproper angle.The model wingspan is different from the number you have when divide the real wingspan by 72.The difference is 2mm.What is more ,i think the cross-sections at the front part of are a bit incorrect with their shapes.These problems with the dimensions can be corrected only by cutting halves of the fuselage open at the nose area and wings by slitting at the main landing gear bays.Then the plastic stripes have to be put between the parts.Certainly the stripes have to have a proper thicknes.

btw. Almost the same problems are with other The Academy models of P-51.

And now about the top and bottom of a model fuselage and not only....

Attachments

• SEp-51.jpg
    SEp-51.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 80
Nothing is perfect,Les.Although The Italeri P-51D is much better than the Academy one,there are also some small problems.

Great model Saburo,congrats M8.How did you do these green patches, with a paper pattern or free-hand airbrushing?

Thanks Wurger.
I did It by free-hand airbrushing, as it was the first time I was doing that at that scale I did have some difficulties with my airbrush setting, one thing to remember is when you start... you must finish and not stop and continue latter, because you may have problem to get the same pattern (you start with) again...
(I'm not sure if I'm clear on that one...)
Cheers,

Olivier

Of course you are Saburo.I've met with the same many times.But could you tell me what kind of an airbrush you use and what is a nuzzle diameter - 0.2mm?

Hello Guys... while I'm waiting for the week-end to get here so I can paint the
FW-190, I've started the BF109. Which model of the 109 is yet to be determined.
Anyhow, here is one side, the rudder and the elevator, all still
on the pins.

Attachments

• bf109_1.jpg
    bf109_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 103
Right on, that looks like fun, I used to love building Gillows models and other R-band powered, tissue covered, cool looking planes. I used to set them on fire and fly them out my second story bedroom window.

Which model of the 109 is yet to be determined.

Hallo Charles,
Judging by the pic on top-box and the drawings in which I can see wings I can state it is Bf 109E serie.Could you upload also pics of cockpit conopy and a spinner in order to determinate what E version it is? There are many aces' camo patterns for the Bf 109.I should have some of them.

thanks for the advice wurger. I knew academy decals are sh!t but I didn't know that the model hasn't been made to the proper measurements! I spose you get what you paid for ($10)

You are welcome SE.:)
If I've understood, you bought for 10$,yes? But the cost of a model doesn't determinate its quality.The Academy models are rather good.All parts of them are moulded clean without overflows,the stamp traces are visible on inner surfaces only or aren't visible at all.All engraved panel lines are sharp ,thin, and mostly at the places where thye should be.Rivets are also there where they should be visible.Assembling of Academy kits is easy and a putty and sanding are needed at the standard places ( top and bottom of the fuselage,leading edges of wings and transition between the wings and the fuselage).Decals have been the weak point of the Academy kits but these can be replaced easly by other decal sets.The main problem of Academy kits geometry and measurements.Of course it doesn't mean that all models of the firm have the same problems.If you compare the kits to other model makers ones it appeares they are really enough to make a nice model.Additionally, I can tell you that also the Hasegawa models aren't free of mistakes.Some month ago I bought 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IX/IXc kit.It is very nice model but its demisions are incorrect,the ICM model of Spit is much better with its shape.So don't give your modelling up,please.I've just started assembling P 51B/C of Mastercraft ( an old INTECH kit).The cost of it about 5$.I've met there the same problems like with the Academy Mustangs.

regards,

Ok back again with some extra shots of my Fw190 from the Model Expo section.

Attachments

• Fw190A-8 JG301_7508.JPG
    Fw190A-8 JG301_7508.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Fw190A-8 JG301_7511.JPG
    Fw190A-8 JG301_7511.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 102
  • Fw190A-8 JG301_7512.JPG
    Fw190A-8 JG301_7512.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back