Post Your Models! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As far as crosses are concerned, French pilots painted them on tails of their Yaks at their own will throughout the war. Actually they were doing it to tease Germans. I attach some pictures where you can see their Yaks both with stars and Lorraine cross. Russian pilots and technicians standing by their planes make it clear that the photos were made in the war time.

Attachments

• Nor-Nem 44 - 3.jpg
    Nor-Nem 44 - 3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Nor-Nem 44 - 2.jpg
    Nor-Nem 44 - 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 1734.jpg
    1734.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Nor-Nem 44.jpg
    Nor-Nem 44.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 164
I cann't say where exactly were made those photos but I guess some time in 1944. I attach a photo of a Bf 109 which was shot down by one of the french pilots right above their airfield in Tapiau near Koenigsberg in 1945. You can see the similar "White 7" in the background but with a star on the tail.

Attachments

• Tapiau 1945 2.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • White 7 Norm.bmp
    673.8 KB · Views: 197
Here's my latest pair, made using the airbrush and compressor kit I mentioned in a separate topic. First is an Academy P-40N in RAF desert scheme, and then a Hobbyboss 109E Trop, both 1:72. The P-40 went together well, but problems appeared at the end. First of all, the decals just did not want to sit, they kept coming loose and look very shiny once applied - I'll go and buy some decalcote tomorrow and make sure they stay on. I don't know if all Academy kits have this problem, as the Typhoon I'm also making has run into similar problems. Secondly, the canopy was dreadful - as you can see, it just doesn't fit! So I'll search out an aftermarket replacement and redo it. The 109 was my first attempt at using the airbrush for fine markings, so the results were a bit hit and miss, but not bad for a first attempt.

P5250332.gif

P5250330.gif

Also. here is the Italeri Ju 87 D5. I posted it before, but somehow managed to do it in completely the wrong topic. This one I am really pleased with, certainly the best of the three. I made the winter coat as rough as possible by spraying dark green, then random white over the top. It has worked rather well if I don't say so myself. One thing though, I read somewhere that the D5 didn't come with 20mm cannons or dive brakes, and somewhere else that it did. I'm not sure which is correct, the photos seem to show aircraft with both?

Stuka2.gif

Stuka1.jpg

Finally finished the b17g its an academy 1/72 scale. Im starting on a f14 in 1/48 scale from revell now and will be posting up some pics soon. and yes academy decals do not stick!

Attachments

• hayley and modelsbbb.jpg
    hayley and modelsbbb.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 121
  • hayley and modelsaaa.jpg
    hayley and modelsaaa.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 119
Well done str8jax. Very nice model:D
As far as the Academy decals are concerned, it is true, it is their common feature.

Negative Creep, should you use default Academy decals or replacement stuff from dedicated sheets, the best way to have your decals stay in place is:
-first apply them on shiny or smoothed camo paint, and use decalcote when applying.
-then overspray the whole model with either matt or semi-gloss varnish to give the paint and decals the same appearance and lock teh decals underneath the varnish coat to ensure they'll remain in place.

For canopies, default clear plastic parts often don't match very good with the model and are always too thick especially at 1/72nd scale. You can replace them with vacuformed canopies that are much clearer and thinner. They need trimming and sanding to have them fit but the result is far better.

If you want to weather the model with pastels, would the varnish then hold that in place?

I'm on a roll at the moment, here the Italeri 1:72 mkIX. Even though this is a new kit, it required a lot of sanding and filling to get looking right, and I never quite got the supercharger intake to fit right. The stripes are all painted, I followed the box instructions that the spinner and rear stripe should be light blue, only to find out later it should have been the same colour as the numbers. Oh well, at least the decals went on well, and the cockpit is a photoetched extra, and my camera refused to focus on it

P5280347.gif

P5280343.gif

NC the model looks very nice and I like it.:) But the blue spinner and the strip you should realy repaint using the Sky type S colour.Besides I can see that the transition between the wings ( on both sides of fuselage ) and the fuselage wasn't corrected by you.I mean there aren't engraved the lines of the transition panels.And there is something wrong with the ailerons.If the right one is down the left one should be up.But I may be wrong.

I did correct somewhat (the original was terrible) but I agree it's not perfect. I read on another forum that a very good thing to use is a Tipp ex (correction fluid) pen to fill fine lines, I'll try this out next time. The ailerons I just put down to make it a bit more interesting, I did the same with the exhaust flaps and rudder, although you can't really see it in the pictures.

Oh and the B-17 is very nice! Was it a straightforward build?

Yes im just beginning to learn the art of correcting poorly made models. It fit together pretty good no big problems. Here are some pics of the f 14 I started the cockpit that is.

Attachments

• again bbbb.jpg
    again bbbb.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 98
  • again ccc.jpg
    again ccc.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 98
Negative Creep nice spit and yes the aileron needs one up and one down or just level LOoks great I must say!

Str8jax onto yet another good start the cockpit is lovely!

Wurger is right, usually one aileron goes down and second goes up.
This blue band on the rear fuselage seems very very suspect. The colour named "sky type S" is rather begie green than blue.

Ok I'll remember that in future! Could sky type S be the colour of the numerals? The back of the box shows then and the band to be 'light blue' so that's what I followed.

Would matt varnish be safe to use with an airbrush?

Ok I'll remember that in future! Could sky type S be the colour of the numerals? The back of the box shows then and the band to be 'light blue' so that's what I followed.
Yes, I know, this box profile is a crap. RAF colours occures in limited shades. Even on interim periods when colours schemes were changed (Dark Green/Dark Earth -> Dark Green/Ocean Green) and no Ocean Gray paint were delivered to the combat unit, there were instructions published which specified proportions black and white paint in the mixture to achievie exactly the same shade. For painting "Sky type S" colour I use Humbol no. 90 or 23.
Would matt varnish be safe to use with an airbrush?
Of course, only if you mix the varnish carefuly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back