Potential China military base in Solomons (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada

Sometimes I think the US postwar policies went against US longterm interests. First of all, pushing for the end of the British Empire, leading to anti-US regimes in much of the former British colonies, including Nigeria and now possibly the Solomons. Secondly, the US drive to modernize China and to turn it into America's offshore factory has created an powerhouse with strong anti-US leanings, now seeking military power across the world.

If China gets a base in the Solomons their Air Force can be within easy striking distance of Australia.

They don't understand the importance of logistics yet while this will be a good chance for JMSDF to extpand its patrol activities in the Pacific in a long term view.

From what I've read about it, the locals aren't willing to provide any basing rights to the Chinese, but much like the Belt-and-Road initiative, I imagine China is trying to rope them in economically only to turn the screws on the agreement to allowing basing later.

It's certainly aimed at the sea routes between America and the Antipodes, and I expect the Chinese will do everything they can to expand this in the next couple of decades.

Last edited:
This is a slap in the face for Australia. We have provided 100's of millions of dollars to the Solomons over the years, helped improve infrastructure, health care, donate patrol boats etc. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you..
Australia's development partnership with Solomon Islands
That may be so but one of the risks highlighted already is that australia is perceived by some as just taking the Pacific Islands for granted. This is further exacerbated by the way the Govt has reacted to this entire situation, including sending essentially a nobody to the Solomons in the form of Zed Seselja. I know that he is/was Australia's Minister for International Development and the Pacific but honestly I don't think anyone had heard of him up until this point. We make a big deal but then send a second tier minister. That just plays into the Chinese game.

Am I wrong in understanding the Chinese Gov't is building infrastructure but Under contract, meaning it will reap payment for work?
Then make it so expensive payment is impossible and that's when china moves in and strong arms the country or island nation.
It's plenty scary. Even as most of the product produced is from China. Car manufacturers have their printed circuit boards done there, if I am not mistaken, look at That situation.
I do know little to discuss intelligently!

They do it for rather cheap prices to build up goodwill in those nations. They are also investing in local industry like mines etc.
In Europe and likely in other nations they are investing/taking-over companies and factories, some even high tech. Don't need to spy, just buy them and feed that gained tech back into home industry.

Back around 2000 or 2002 a fellow employee who was originally from Guatemala sponsored his son and daughter in law to the US because the furniture factory (the daughter in law's father's company) had been bought by a Chinese company with the agreement to keep the Guatemalan employees. The locals were fired and Chinese immigrants brought in to take their place. I also learned that the practice was commonplace and they were buying the coffee plantations. More recently, those of us building balsa flying models have seen the balsa forests of Equador bought by China to use for their tanker insulation. The balsa now is tagged "Made in China" if you can find any and can afford it.

Slowly colonizing.
That's China's long game. And they're good at it. Look at Sri Lanka, China loaned them billions so the former could build a massive, yet useless port facility. Now that the loans are due, China says skip repayment if we can have a longterm lease of the port as a PLAAN naval base. China's 'naval base grab' in Sri Lanka exposed amid WW3 India row

I believe the day will come when a PLAAN CBG will sail into the Atlantic from these bases in Africa and elsewhere

How will West react when a Chinese CSG visits the Atlantic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back