prop tips?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

there probably was variation...

Not much. It was an Air Ministry Directive, though the version I have is from 1944, long after the practice was introduced. I have heard and read first hand accounts from both restorers and archaeologists which confirm that 4" was the standard adhered to.

The marking was applied at the point of production and orders is orders :) Why take a chance on having the blade rejected by a MAP inspector?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Steve is correct. There was no variation from the time the yellow tips were first introduced. The tips were, of course, a safety warning, to assist in the reduction of casualties, mainly fatal, caused by personnel walking into the arc of a spinning prop. (I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty).
A tip colour greater than 4 inches (100mm) can be counter-effective, as the increase in size of the yellow-coloured area can actually diminish the effect of indicating the outer extremity of the prop arc.
However, when the 'modern' variant of white/red/white, or red/white/red was introduced, mainly in order to be more visible on a light silver-grey or polished metal prop, then the depth could be increased to six inches, depending on the span and chord of the prop blade(s).
On propellor aircraft used by the RAF for Air Cadet or University Air Squadron students, post war from the 1970's, the warning effect was increased even further, by having the entire front face of each prop blade finished in black/white bands the length of each blade, the reasoning being that such 'pupils', being young and not accustomed to the environment of a 'live' airfield, could possibly be more at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back