Protecting the Long-Range Bombers (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There were a crap load of different DB 601s and a even more DB605s so make sure you are comparing the same versions.
They did use different reduction gears for the propeller depending on what aircraft the engine was being used in, (So did the Merlin) but many times teh same supercharger set up was used on several different engines with different propeller reduction gears.

Key word "most often".

The DB601A1 was used for both types like the Bf110C and the Bf109E/F and I already mentioned the DB605A1 above.

Of course there were variants of the DB6xx for various applications that could easily generate a 2,000 word dissertation - but the short of it, is that the engines in the Bf110 were most often the same as in the Bf109.

Key word "most often".

The DB601A1 was used for both types like the Bf110C and the Bf109E/F and I already mentioned the DB605A1 above.

Of course there were variants of the DB6xx for various applications that could easily generate a 2,000 word dissertation - but the short of it, is that the engines in the Bf110 were most often the same as in the Bf109.
I see what you did there and most often feel the same way, after reading some of the responses to my comments.

97D83F9A-63B3-46F1-AF7E-A44CC4092A62.gif

Well, the DB601 had ten primary variants, with a few sub-variants. Then in each variant, there were different gear ratios that were used for different applications (Bf110 used different prop gear ratios than the Bf109, but those were different than ratios used for the Me210 or He100D or Ar215 and so on) and then the DB605 gets even more exhaustive.

But in the end, the engine and supercharger for the 109 and 110 were the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back