QB-17 photos wanted

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I'm looking for pictures of QB-17 (B-17 Drones). Best if they were from Holloman AFB or Whites Sands New Mexico. They were usually painted in red-orange Day-Glo paint with black diagonal stripes for increased visibility. Their serial numbers were prefixed by an O, indicative of their obsolete status. Sources for QB-17 conversions were new B-17s that had went directly to storage upon delivery from the factory. The last operational mission flown by a USAF Fortress was conducted on 6 August 1959, when DB-17P 44-83684 directed QB-17G 44-83717 out of Holloman Air Force Base as a target for a Falcon air-to-air missile fired from an F-101 Voodoo fighter.
Thanks in Advance

Hi Dave,

I can find a number of photos, mostly black and white, but not from the locations you requested.

QB-17 photos with serial numbers visible are difficult to find. Through research I have identified some 43 QB's from various sources - only a few from photographs. This can't possibly be the total actually employed throughout the service life of the aircraft - there should be many more.

Dave Tarrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back