Reference post #100, Schweik.
You say the claims should be ... and then numbers. What are you basing your "should be" numbers on, precisely? The lists and tables I have seen ALL disagree with one another, and I don't know anyone with a 100% reliable OCR file of USAAF Report 85. I took a stab at it, and Bill Marshall (Drgondog) says my numbers are off by several, but I can't find where. Bill has a very good file for the 8th AF and is working on claims for other theaters (MTO at present, I think), but I have not seen any published numbers as yet.
So, I was wondering about your "should be" numbers. I am not sniping at you, I am curious. I have extensive files in Excel for most worldwide claims, approved victories for U.S.A., losses, accidents, etc. The thing is ... none of the files agree with one another to the last number.
And then we have the revisionists who knocked Boyington's total down so Joe Foss could be elevated. But ... they didn't look at ANYONE ELSE. I reject that out of hand. Yes Boyington had some 22 in US military service, but his AVG planes were built here, were funded and supplied by the USA and should count the same. So, I still have him at 28 (22 + 6), especially since ground claims were later approved and routinely used in totals.
It might be good to discuss this in a separate thread.
Cheers.