question on paint

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
i've got humbrol enamel paints for my 1/72 models, is it best to thin the paints down, i'm using brushes to paint, if so can anyone advise on paint -thinner ratio's.
im asking because ive painted my hurricane and apart from the guy in the shop giving me some wrong colours it looks pretty s**t the paint blocks out a lot of the panel details probably i've layed it on a bit thick in places as well :oops:, but i want to get it right before i start my dora and tempest !
cheers in advance guys

Interesting, I havent mixed enough on some of mine also.

To be honest rochie I don't thin my paints when I brush paint. Aslong as you have even strokes you can get pretty good results. Thinning can get rid of some brush marks to a point however lifes easier with non thinned paint.

Just my 2c.

G'day Rochie, I've only started making models again myself, the first time since I was a kid. I brush paint as well and never use thinners. I also only do the one coat, except with white which doesn't seem to come out too good. All in all I'm generally happy with the way my models turn out. Here are the three I've made so far. The spit was the first and not so good. The Anson was my first 1:72 scale which was a challange, but I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. The Kittyhawk was my last one built and probably my best effort yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 88
wow wildcat looks like all i need to do is practice ! because the paint on my hurricane never turned out anything like your models.
i was thinking will a larger brush help even out the paint on larger surfaces like wings and fusalage ?

Thanks for the comments guys :)
Rochie regarding brush size, I actually use quite a small one. It's the Humbrol brand brushes and it has the number 3/0 on it, I use this for the wings and fuselage and works well enough for me.

Some extremely nice models their Wildcat

I've always thought the P-40 and Spitfire look awesome in RAAF livery

is the P-40 the italeri kit?

Hello All,

First of all, those pictures look really good. Mine generally don't turn out quite so nicely. I haven't done a full up plastic kit in a few years now.

Can you post some details on which kit and what you've done that's not stock? I can't quite tell the scale, but the P-40 looks to be 1/72 and from the shape, (I see minor weirdness that has nothing to do with assembly technique) looks like the Hasegawa kit which I have. It also looks to me that you've done something not quite stock to the Anson's glass.

BTW, regarding paints, I use Testor's Model Master for the most part. The shelf life is better than anything else I have come across. With about 30-40 bottles of paint at what we all know they cost, one can spend a lot of time and money replacing them if shelf life is poor. As for thinning paint, I can't really find a pattern. Even from the same brand, some need thinned and some don't. A hobby paint shaker is also quite useful. I can't find mine right now but I know I own one!

With enamel paints, some folks suggest putting Copper plated steel BBs as agitator balls. I suggest you don't. Spend a little extra money and buy appropriate sized ball bearings instead. If you don't believe me, try retrieving the BBs after they have been in the paint a few years. Ones I've found tend not to be copper coloured any more which means the copper is in the paint some place. Ball Bearings have held up pretty well to date and spending a nickel on a $4 bottle of paint seems not to be excessive to me. Don't put the agitator balls into Acrylic paints: They rust because of the water content in my experience.

Your mileage may vary!

Regards.
- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back