Question on the Upcoming D-Day Group Build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I picked up a Spitfire Mk Vb for the GB. I will be building Ensign Robert Adams' plane 4X. I had forgotten how small 1/72 fighters are. My first silly question is what color should the cockpit be? The instructions show grey-green. I thought Spitfires had a yellow green interior. I will write up his story one the GB thread is started.

DBII

Ok, I read though the marking and camo thread. I will use the gray-green color. I was hoping not to have to buy more paint. Thanks guys.

DBII

I'm entering a P-51 D :D

You will be hard pressed to find P-51D w/Invasion stripes for June 6 as only a very few were in theatre - only important if June 6 is the target for you. The D model started dribbling into the squadrons near the end of May. By July every group had 5-10.

If you fast forward into July, the second week of July is when the top part of the fuselage was 'erased' of stripes as well as most of the top of the wing - where the black ETO stripe remained.

Trying to find something what would be interesting entry in D-Day GB I found fare share of colors profiles of P-51B "Old Crow" and most of them show this aircraft with Malcolm hood. Then I came across this profile art showing the same aircraft but with birdcage canopy. My question is - is this profile art historically accurate or not?

Attachments

• Copy of m8.jpg
    Copy of m8.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 87
A bit of a difficult one this Igor. Although most profiles I've seen of Andersons's P51B have shown the 'Malcolm' hood, it is possible that this was only fitted soon after D-Day, when the aircraft still carried full AEAF stripes. It's interesting that the profile you posted has similar information to one shown in the Osprey 'Mustang Aces' book, with the 'Malcolm' hood and stripes, in that they both state the aircraft as being shown in May 1944 - the stripes weren't applied until the evening of 5th June......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back