Question on the Upcoming D-Day Group Build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good question. I'd assumed it was any aircraft carrying AEAF stripes, therefore allied. But I'll go with the majority, whatever the concensus is.

I think we should allow to make models of all planes that were used for the operation.However these non allied should be exactly used there at that time at the area ( I mean ETO) .Also I think we can consider all air-to-ground or air-to-air actions performed shortly before the D-Day both for attacking and defencing by all opponents.This can extend the possibility of choosing a correct airplane.

The title is" D-Day / Invasion Stripes"
I think the emphasis should be on Allied aircraft with Invasion stripes as the main theme of the build, however this GB should encompass participants on both sides in the lead up, during and after the 6th June, should provide quite a bit of variety!:D

According to the title of this GB I assumed this includes only Allied machines and only those among them which actually carried invasion stripes. But I'm not complaining about including Axis aircraft or Allied without the stripes (for example heavy bombers) which participated in aerial operations on D-day. Actually I like the idea of including Bf 109s, Fw 190s, etc, into the mix.

My most probable entry to this GB will be Typhoon fighter bomber.

I'm gonna to agree with Wayne's post the title is D-Day/Invasion Stripes.So it means the Allied planes should be taken into consideration mostly.

A suggestion. As the title includes 'Invasion Stripes', the primary objective should be to model only allied aircraft which actually carried them. As you probably know, these stripes were applied on the evening of June 5th, and only to those aircraft which would be operating over the beach head and / or battle area in general. Heavy bombers , for example, did not carry the stripes. So, if a member was to enter at least one model displaying stripes, secondary entries, up to a total of four models, could include enemy types involved directly in the batttle.
However, as we have already had a GB for Luftwaffe fighters, and one covering the area which included other enemy types in the ETO, I personally feel that this GB should be only for allied aircraft carrying AEAF stripes. As it happens, I might not be entering a model in this GB, as I have a lot of other projects to complete, although I might be tempted to do a 1/48th scale Tyhpoon.....

That's a great idea - D-day stripes for the first, but more open for subsequent builds. I'm usually battling to complete one in four months, so an axis may not be a possibility - plus i'll be overseas for a good part of that period.

Still, I have two possibilities in mind, a Typhoon (some really great choices for Tiffies, and don't they look great in a brutal sort of way! 8)) or a P-38. The P-38 must be the quintessential D-day aircraft, used especially for it's easily recognized shape.

This build is going to be another great one. :D

Cheers

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back