Question on the Upcoming D-Day Group Build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would like to build the Spitfire Vb flown by the USN as a spotter for BB-35, USS Texas. I have not found the marking yet. The Navy borrowed surplus Spitfires from the Brits for the Kingfisher pilots assigned to the Cruiser and Battleships. One Navy pilot had a damaged fuel line and had to land on the beach, get patched up and returned to England.

DBII

I would like to build the Spitfire Vb flown by the USN as a spotter for BB-35, USS Texas. I have not found the marking yet. The Navy borrowed surplus Spitfires from the Brits for the Kingfisher pilots assigned to the Cruiser and Battleships. One Navy pilot had a damaged fuel line and had to land on the beach, get patched up and returned to England.

DBII

These pages from Classic Warbirds no 3 may help DB. These Spits would make an interesting build for sure.

Attachments

• classic3page66.jpg
    classic3page66.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 107
  • classic3page67.jpg
    classic3page67.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 80
  • classic3page68.jpg
    classic3page68.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 97
  • classic3page69.jpg
    classic3page69.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 96
Nice pics there Peter. I have an article on these Spits somewhere, so I'll post some more pics when I find it (!).
Would it help if I compiled a list of allied types known to have carried AEAF stripes? You might be surprised at the vast choice!

Thanks, for the article. I stumbled into VCS-7. BB-35 is down the street from where I grew up. I spent several labor day and memorial day on the Texas as a child. The USS Texas did everything, North Africa, Normandy, Southern France, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. I wanted to see if the scout plane from the Texas flew at Normandy. I was thinking a kingfisher with strips would be different. They tricked me and flew Spitfires. I did find decals for a British 885 th Sqdrn flying in the Air Spotting Poll, 2nd TAC AF but nothing for the USN VCS-7 yet. At first I was thinking a F-4 but I like the story of the Navy flying Spitfires. How do you go back to a float plane after flying a Spitfire? I saw a list last week on the allied aircraft used. I can see if I can find it again.

DBII

Last edited:
I realize i'm just a newbie here but in my opinion the name of the Group Build cries out Allied aircraft... with stripes. Axis aircraft were covered in the first GB.

For me its a toss up between a C-47 (I think they look so damn cool in stripes) or maybe the "Old Crow" I already have in my stash.

Press on with Pride

Last edited:
Not sure about the Grieff VB ! Although it has the stripes, they were only painted on to allow passage back to the UK for evealuation, after capture. I had a feeling someone might pick this aircraft!!
I do tend to agree that the GB should be only allied aircraft, with AEAF stripes, at and following D-Day, as the title strongly suggests. As mentioned, we've had a GB specifically for Luftwaffe fighters, and other axis types are well covered in the MTO and Heavy Hitters GB's, both of which were wide open for choice. I do feel that allowing Luftwaffe aircraft as part of this GB is repeating at least part of the Defence of the Reich GB, at the possible expense of the main subject, D-Day stripes!
There are many more opportunities for us all to model our favourite subjects, be they well known or more obscure, and those future GB's already listed exhibit a wide variety of periods and types, with the opportunity to add more for the future.
However, if it is the overwhelming choice of the members to include Luftwaffe types, involved only in the campaign, then so be it. But, enemy aircraft would have to be involved directly in the immediate D-day period, otherwise the field could broaden to encompass virtually anything used by the axis powers after June 6th 1944, if enough excuses were provided!
Meanwhile, have a look at the list of allied aircraft I've posted separately in this section - there are many to choose from, some of which you might not have expected.

Cross my palm with lots of silver, or better still, gold, it and it could happen - very much doubt it though! Bl**dy silly, barrel-shaped, fat ugly, spindly-legged, short-ar*ed excuse for an aeroplane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back