Questions on Antenna Rigging

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I have gotten ok at actually rigging the antenna wires now, finally got some on my P-38. I have a question, especially on German aircraft, how others have tackled the tension spring look at the ends of the antenna? I saw one guy said he used light bulb filaments.

A related question is things like cable clamps, for instance if I run some wire in wheel wells I would like to simulate the strapping that often held those wires in place. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Depends on the scale. Personally, I feel that trying to replicate the spring in 1/48 or smaller results in a clunky looking product that is too large for the scale. While I have not been 100% happy with my attempts, the closest I have come to trying to present a realistic scale effects is to simply dab some CA glue onto the area, gradually building it up and then painting it silver or a steel colour. Now if I were doing 1/32, I'd probably try something different.

14072006.jpg

For pipe clamps, I use self-adhesive aluminum tape used for sealing ductwork. You can buy this at any big box store. With a sharp knife, you can cut very narrow strips and, because they have an adhesive backing, they go on very easily.

111119 Engine 2.jpg

As to the antenna wire I do the same as above though the old-fashioned thick plastic glues make a blob quicker than CA. I cannot even imagine obtaining and working with a filament. As to the strapping you refer to you know my response. Is it going to be seen??? If not why bother?

Agree about the seen part. Somewhere in a recent build thread here I saw some great detail added to a wheel well and the pipes or wiring had little black wrappers or straps here and there. Definitely a visible spot and the look was awesome!

Again this is my own personal opinion. I totally agree with going the extra mile or ten for that matter IF that detail is in a visible location. BUT like that B-29 video you posted all that interior detail was buried as soon as he closed up the fuselage. IMHO a waste of time, energy and paint. Engine detail is fantastic if there is provision to open the cowling so that it can be seen.
Again just a personal opinion. Whatever boats your float!

Guilty as charged, take a look again at my B-29 pictures that I posted. Was not going to do all that interior detail just to seal it up.
It really was not difficult as there are some very fine "razor" saws available. There is always a certain amount of kerf to be sure but the removed pieces fit surprisingly well

Coincidentally, these are two weak spots in my modeling that I need to improve upon. Getting an aerial onto the model is a hassle in and of itself and adding the connecting hardware often falls by the wayside for me. I've been trying to be more diligent and paint the aerials and at least add some blobs of white glue to simulate some of it. I'm talking about 1/48 scale. In 1/32, I've made up a tension spring using strand of electrical wire wrapped around a micro drill bit but I consider that being on the borderline of being overscale.
IMG_1238_zpsm1v9o4qc.jpg

JTK_0154_zpsqc9ju2zt.jpg

I need a good way to replicate cable fasteners/ties as well. I'll have to look into this adhesive aluminum tape that Andy mentioned. For the 109K-4 build, I used pieces of brass tubing on the landing gear with mixed results.
IMG_3340_zpslsr35c5p.jpg

IMG_3344_zpslxgnwdu6.jpg

I would not say mixed results, they look great and in scale to me! I like the idea of the wrapped wire for ariels. One suggestion for an even thinner source. Old USB Apple or Android charging cables. They seem to die all the time. In death they can deliver a large amount of very fine wire if you strip them down.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Albion tubes is the way to. But beware, this stuff is really tiny and can drive you a bit nuts. Cut it with a very sharp #11 rolled across a couple of times attempting to retrace your path and not create a spiral. For the straps, the aluminum tape is an excellent idea. The one I'm using is wine-bottle foil coated with Microsol foil adhesive or MicroMark's Pressure Sensitive Adhesive. Both of these products will make the foil sticky enough to do the job. Since we drink wine regularly, I always have a supply of the foil.

Albion tubes is the way to. But beware, this stuff is really tiny and can drive you a bit nuts. Cut it with a very sharp #11 rolled across a couple of times attempting to retrace your path and not create a spiral. For the straps, the aluminum tape is an excellent idea. The one I'm using is wine-bottle foil coated with Microsol foil adhesive or MicroMark's Pressure Sensitive Adhesive. Both of these products will make the foil sticky enough to do the job. Since we drink wine regularly, I always have a supply of the foil.
Are these the buggers you use? Slide Fit Tubes - Albion Hobbies - Precision Products for Hobby

Albion tubes is the way to. But beware, this stuff is really tiny and can drive you a bit nuts. Cut it with a very sharp #11 rolled across a couple of times attempting to retrace your path and not create a spiral.

That's what I meant about "mixed results"! For every piece that was used, I think I launched 2-3 into oblivion. And yup... I have a couple of sets of the Albion slide tubes. Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back