Quotes and Jokes (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In his book "Between Silk and Cyanide" Leo Marks describes how he was given a test before being hired to handle codes for secret agents sent to Occupied Europe. He was told to decode a message. The officer who gave him the test came back in half an hour and asked if he was done. Leo replied that no, he was not, wondering how long they thought it should take to decode a message. The officer kept checking back and looked disappointed each time that he was not done. Finally after four hours or so, Leo was able to hand in the decoded message. The officer looked very disappointed, saying he had thought Leo was quite good at that sort of thing. Leo asked how long it should take. The officer replied that it was not all that difficult, you just took the code key and translated the letters.

Leo replied, "Code key? What code key? I did not know you gave me a code key! I assumed you wanted it decoded without one."

To Leo, decoding a coded message where you had the key was like The Crayon Test, so absurd that it could not be the case. They hired him.

The last sentence should read "Please do not eat the crayon. Do not insert it into any part of your body, or any part of another person's body."
When I was a 2nd Lt I wrote a Technical Order for Operation of a pencil sharpener as an exercise in writing T.O.'s. It included Notes, Cautions, and Warnings, and warned against inserting fingers or other parts of the body into the Sharpener, Pencil lest the resultant screams wake people in the office.

I guess I should have addressed crayons as well.

Said a USAF fighter leader in Korea: "A second Lt with a map is the most dangerous thing in the world."

During the Vietnam War a 2nd Lt called his commander on the radio, "I've found out where we are sir! We are in Nakom Phong!"

His commander replied, "Lt, Nakom Phong means Strategic Hamlet. That is like saying you are in Resume Speed or Deer Crossing."

Users who are viewing this thread