Radio Control P-40 Flown

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

propman

Airman
Oct 5, 2009
Hockessin, Delaware
Hello All,
Well I finally finished and flew the P-40D this year at our Warbirds over Delaware event and thought I would share with everyone. Most of the detailed documentation came from this website that made it so much easier, thanks to all. I did post this under the models section but still learning my way around this wonderful website and thought I would post in the Pacific theater.

I have 6 flights on the Burma Banshee -- LuLu Bell, had air leak problems on the retracts, and ended changing the engine because of other issues, but finally got her in the air. Fly's very nice, ground handling is another story.

Right now I'm in the middle of a A6M5 Zero building and from there I start on a Big P-47 can't wait--after the 40% Cap 232 is done--it just don't stop------anyway

Nick Ziroli Kit Fiberglass Fuselage, Balsa wood sheeted wings glassed with finishing resin, Paint PPG BC CC.
94" wing span 1/5 scale
Sachs Dolmar chainsaw converted 98cc around 10HP
Pneumatic retracts
Flaps and all control surfaces servo controlled 13 servos total
Weight 38lbs.
Max Speed around 100 mph-close anyway noisy

O yeah--about 3 grand $ when all said and done--it's only money

Again--Thanks to all with the documentation--this site is awesome!:p

Attachments

• vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_003 (WinCE) (4) (Medium) (Medium).jpg
    vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_003 (WinCE) (4) (Medium) (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 279
  • vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_013 (Medium) (2).jpg
    vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_013 (Medium) (2).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 291
  • vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_078 (Medium).jpg
    vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_078 (Medium).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 282
  • vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_039 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_039 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 277
  • vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_126 (Medium).jpg
    vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_126 (Medium).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 56515397_BurmaBanshee069.jpg
    56515397_BurmaBanshee069.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 56513139_BurmaBanshee040.jpg
    56513139_BurmaBanshee040.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_3558[1] (Medium).JPG
    100_3558[1] (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 263
  • vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_133 (Medium).jpg
    vinny_p40_-_dave_b25_133 (Medium).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 281
Great stuff! Looks real in flight.

Thanks to all,
Now if I could only find a good photo of a camo A6M Zero thats on my bench, most were solid green top or grey-green, I would like to do similar to A Kawasaki k61 multi color, I looked everywhere and could only find one,

any help? Thanks

Tamiya sells an 1/48 A6M3 with this camo on the box...

tm61025.jpg

I'm assuming Tamiya did their research on Zeros of course. But you're building a 5 right? I wonder if the same scheme got used on 5s...

Yes a -5-but we can improvise , Thanks for the photo--Wayne are you there?

I'm here!

A6M5 Zeroes were for the most part Solid Dark Green uppers and Grey-Green lower surface..there was slight variation between Mitsubishi and Nakajima constructed Aircraft.

Will have a squiz in a few of my books and see if there is somethng out of the ordinary for you...:D

Show us a pic of where your Zero is up to!

Thanks Wayne, greatly appreciate your time response if you can find anything, and I would like thank all with the positive responses-this is a great website.:D

It does not have to be a 5, not doing more homework like I should have:oops: my main concern is showing a match color scheme to the exhaust system because this is big standoff difference. Did the earlier version Zeros have a 1 exhaust port on the bottom of the cowl, or later versions have individual exhaust stacks out the L R side of the cowling? Or vice versa? Any Zero that has the side mounted exhaust stacks will work, I will not be entering this in any scale contest and we all know that exact scale detail can be quite time consuming between aircraft models, and also what the ground personnel did in the field to keep a a/c flying. My plan is to fly this plane allot, also some scale details will not hold-up with a working airplane, antenna wires etc tend to get knocked off or hanger rashed.

I have the grey-green on the wings and fuse know, I will try to shoot some photo's tonight after carving the pumpkin with my kids—that's if I don't cut my fingers off-

FYI on a new product I'm using is called Nelson Hobbies paint System 3 water base poly-u, safe to spray inside the house , very little smell, water clean-up and tough as nails-It's boat paint. Acetone, MEK, gasoline and glow fuel will not harm this paint will. Being water base technique applied is not like any enamels or car paints, this must applied with thin coats using hair dryer that dry's in seconds, you can tape for lines or sand any mistake in about an hour.

I did the grey-green Zero that's 1/5 scale via 94" wing with about 10 oz of paint thinned with water for the air brush and touch gun-this paint covers well but can be deceiving at first but very nice to use.

Nelson Hobby Specialties - 817.431.1038

Thanks again,

I'm here!

A6M5 Zeroes were for the most part Solid Dark Green uppers and Grey-Green lower surface..there was slight variation between Mitsubishi and Nakajima constructed Aircraft.

Will have a squiz in a few of my books and see if there is somethng out of the ordinary for you...:D

Show us a pic of where your Zero is up to!

That Looks really sweet :thumbleft: and I love the pit because of that I would be afraid to fly it my inexperienced arse. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back