RAF Hendon Aircraft Museum, London, 11/06/10

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maximowitz

Tech Sergeant
Jun 30, 2008
London, England.
On Friday myself and my old friend Carl decided to take a much delayed visit to the RAF Museum at Hendon. I have to admit it was quite a fun day, there were very few visitors that afternoon so I took the liberty of...

..er.. jumping over the rope barriers and having a much closer look than most people get. :lol:

If you can imagine the sight of a 48 year old man running around a Bf 110 with a look of manic glee on his face you'd be about right. I snapped a few crappy pictures with my phone camera but luckily Carl had brought along his Uber-mega-Canon for some really tasty pictures which I will upload as soon as he sends them to me.

On the downside the museum bookshop is a shadow of its former self and the cafe had the bare face balls to charge £3.40 for a bottle of Shepherd Neam's Spitfire!

Attachments

• FW190S.jpg
    FW190S.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Fw190s2.jpg
    Fw190s2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 191
  • He162.jpg
    He162.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 216
My apologies for the crappy photography.

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Mosquito.jpg
    Mosquito.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Me262.jpg
    Me262.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Bf109G.jpg
    Bf109G.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 207
:lol: I could see you getting in a 262 cockpit and going, "I think this is how you start the engines."

Nice photos!!

The cockpit of the 110 was open and it did cross my mind to find a starter cart and run up the DB's. A little taxi through the gift shop and out through the car park and it would have been mine, all mine!

Mwahaha! :lol:

Nice one Paul! Bl**dy good shots for a 'phone - does it make calls too?
It's over 25 years since I was last there, and looks like there have been lots of changes. This month's "Aeroplane" has a feature on the proposed new 'glass' tower being planned for the museum, on the grass near the entrance. If it goes ahead, there'll be a BoB exhibit right up in the roof, with the sky as a background, and a Spit and Bf109 hanging there (presumably from the BoB Hall). Looks ambitious, but personally, I think it'll spoil the look of some exhibits, and make detail photography near impossible!

Many thanks guys. It was rather funny walking around there snapping away with a phone camera while Carl was using this monster digital Canon. Fair enough though, he's a pro photographer (he designs album covers for rock bands, nice job!) but we both got into the spirit of the thing.

Les, there's some really good stuff to come. Using all manner of digital trickery Carl managed to get some great results even in the Battle of Britain Hall which is in semi darkness (they have film shows in there), so you'll be seeing a Fiat Cr.42 (sweet!), Ju 88, Ju 87, He III, Bf 109 E soon.

There's a Bf 110 nightfighter in there too, complete with Lichtenstein radar, but in those pics there's some old fart climbing all over it. Not sure who he was... *walks away whistling*

How dark was it in the BoB hall? There's a Ju 88 in here somewhere...

Attachments

• Ju88.jpg
    Ju88.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Hells teeth! They really changed the BoB Hall! When it was first opened, it had been planned for photography without flash, and was fine. I've got some shots taken in the mid '80's which show the exhibits well, or as well as can be expected for those clustered together. Pity they're on tranny film, or I'd post 'em.
Looking forward to your mates shots.

Thanks for posting the pics Paul,I am very jealous!8)
Cheers,
Tony.

Been wanting to get down to both places for ages Paul. Didn't have time the last time I was in the 'Smoke', but I'll have to try to arrange a weekend - I'll let you know when I can make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back