Rare Crazy Panzer Projekts.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

no, I think that was the so called Stuka zu Fuss.
The Stupa was the nick for the Sturmpanzer IV.

And there is a thin line between close support and artillery. In any case, I think even with the Wulfrahmen the range was beyond visual range.

Kris

Ultra fasinating. Keep them coming if you can. By the way, any more on the Ratte? Did any plans survive or are the reconstructions totally guesswork?

Looks to me that was the way to have tightly spaced big wheels. Big wheels should mean a smoother ride than with smaller wheels, and probably less strain on the tracks.
At the end of the day, going with the simple suspension and wheel layout, like it was the case on the Pz-III and Pz-38(t) should also give good results, while not having propensity to clog mud snow between the wheels. The Soviet KV and IS tanks used the Pz-III style torsion bar suspension and small wheels, worked just fine. The US designs also used it, at M-18 and Pershing, though with bigger wheels.

Softer ride plus superior weight distribution on track = superior off road performance. Softer ride improves crew performance as they don't get bounced around so much. Weapons are more accurate when moving even without stabilization as they don't get bounced around so much. Shock sensitive equipment such as radios and optics not so likely to suffer damage from getting bounced around.

Easy to adjust vehicle length by adding or removing road wheels. This is most obvious when examining German 3/4 track vehicle development.

Probably also helps that Germany was able to mass produce Schachtellaufwerk suspension at relatively low cost using their decentralized manufacturing methods.

The most funny part is the the 3 most numerous german armored fighting vehicles of WW2 (panzer III, IV and Stug III) didnt have any of that interleaved thing, probably becaus ethe weight didnt surpass the 30 tons.

panzeriv_03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back