RATIO? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guy's

Before i start buying paint that's ready for airbrushes. I am going to start learning with the revell enamals.
My question is what is the ratio 2 to 1 or 3 to 2.

Also what can i use to measure the paint out as i don't have a eye dropper

1 to 1 is what I am using as we speak...hehe. Also, I just measure with a Table spoons and then the same amount with the thinner.

Most people use plastic medicine cups which are the easiest to find and most practical.

Great job Harry. :D

I agree with our young padawan Keith. The ratio works mostly.However for older paints you might need 2:1 ratio. ( 2 drops of a thinner and one of a paint). Also you have to remember you can use higher air pressure from your compressor.

Also, one more thing Keith, Matt308 couldn't stress enough to me cleaning the brush. wash out the jar that had the paint, fill it with thinner and spray into the top of a pickle jar or some lid. Let the thinner sit for a day and the paint will settle, then you have clean thinner again. That's with enamels I don't know about acrylics.

Ok now I'll stop boring you.

Here is thinner I used to clean out the jar (Pic 1)

After 4 hours of sitting you can see that the paint is settling at the bottom. Overnight it will become clear again. So don't waste thinner!! :lol:

Attachments

• 102_6023.JPG
    102_6023.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 102_6027.JPG
    102_6027.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 93
All is fine Harry with the tinner "re-cycling". However notice please that although the paint pigment has settled at the bottom but the thinner is still muddy and of green tonality. So what will be if you add the one to the white or other light colours. It can be used for the jar cleaning only now.

So all is OK. However the more times you will use that the more the jar and airbrush will be green inside.Simply dirty.

Last edited:
Well, Alex, if it's just for my brush yes. I think using it in my brush is fine. I don't think the inside will turn green it's just muddy look to the thinner. I'm not using it for anything else but cleaning the brush.

So instead of getting another 8 dollar bottle of Tamiya thinner because I am using it rapidly with the airbrush and cleaning/ thinning paints I can use that again and again for cleaning.

Of course I use clean thinner for thinning paints. There are three other little things like that... that was for example..........

Go with Acrylics, Windex is cheap!

Regardless, I use a 10 cc syringe without the needle, first I draw up the amount "thinner" and then the paint. It allows me to mix it before I put it into my hopper. But I realize I might be overly anal about it.

I have a friend that uses a clear regular drinking straw that he has put marks on the outside and uses that to measure. Seems odd, but it works for him.

Well, Alex, if it's just for my brush yes. I think using it in my brush is fine. I don't think the inside will turn green it's just muddy look to the thinner. I'm not using it for anything else but cleaning the brush.

So instead of getting another 8 dollar bottle of Tamiya thinner because I am using it rapidly with the airbrush and cleaning/ thinning paints I can use that again and again for cleaning.

Of course I use clean thinner for thinning paints. There are three other little things like that... that was for example..........

Your using acrylics yes? why not just use water to clean it

whats with the ".............................."? I've never understood the purpose of this

And you were saying what about retaining a green look Wojtek? :evl4:

It's perfect clear, all paint pigment is on bottom.....I can pour it into another cup crystal clear :D

Attachments

• 102_6033.JPG
    102_6033.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
It seems to be clear only. What is more before all the pigment settled down on the bottom you have lost some of the thinner due to its vaporization. So if you want to regain the thinner you have to keep it in hermetically closed can.
You might don't know but two day later , beer in an opened bottle or can is nothing but water of a camel that has a health problem with kidneys.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back