Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I mentioned this on another thread. I made a bit of an impulse buy the other day, knowing that I needed something for the PTO Group Build. I always like to give my local brick and mortar shops a chance to supply my needs and when I saw this Tamiya Ki-84 in a sexy new box that suggested their recent P-38 and Ki-61 quality, I packed it under my arm and went to the checkout thinking that it was another of Tamiya's more recent new-tool wonders. The price was what is now the norm around here for a 1/48 Tammy kit, $65 CDN, which is still competitive when compared to the cost of buying from overseas, exchange rates, and shipping.

Well, when I got home and opened the box, I was disappointed to see just two, count 'em, TWO very basic sprues of parts and one small clear sprue for the aircraft and a throw-in sprue for the Kurogane vehicle. Also included, to justify the price, was a plastic base and a horrid felt matt that is supposed to look like grass. So it was off to the Scalemates website (something I should have done while I was at the store) to see what I got myself into and, sure enough, the moulds go back to 1972!

Do we see any indication on the box that this is a 50 year old kit? Of course not! Buyer beware....Do your research first! Lesson learned.

I remember seeing the "box o' rockets" kit when I was in grammar school (PS 190) in the early 1960's. I can't remember who produced the original kit.

Don: Great score!

Andy: sorry that kit was a letdown. Buyers of 1:72 Tamiya kits should also check origins first: most of the 'new' Tamiya kits are reboxed Italeri kits (F6F, A-4E, etc.)

Terry: You're very welcome mate, and it's not a patch on how much you've helped me out with over the years.

Egads.. Yeah, Tamiya does shit like that far too often. AND the gall of charging that much (even if it was a "new tool" 1/48 single engine fighter) is insane! Hopefully you'll be able to apply enough lipstick to that 1972 wunderkit!

Users who are viewing this thread