Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What do you guys make of the Tamiya 1/32 F-4 Phantom? I'm going to the store to look at them tomorrow, and they're $120 reportedly, and I quite want one. I'm going through reviews, but I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with it?

Cory, I've only ever seen pics of the Tamiya Phantom, but it looked 'the business'! I'm guessing that, being Tamiya, there won't be much to complain about, even built OOB. One of these days, when the man from HSBC says 'Yes', I might get one to convert to a RAF FGR2, to replace the old converted Revell one that was wrecked in a house move about 24 years ago.

After reading the reviews there's a few things that may be of concern, so I'll have to see. It's a lot of money! They also had an F-15 and an F-16 I'm told (I didn't go, my brother and dad did but we're going tomorrow), but the only jets that I like really are the Eurofighter, F-4, Sabre and F-18.

Thanks. I was actually looking for a Russian Pe-8 to build and came across this. I really like the Chinese Markings and never knew the Chinese fielded a Heavy Bomber during the war so I'm going to go with the markings on the box.

Cory, do you know what the 'problems' are with the Tamiya Phantom? I haven't seen any reviews, and as you say, it's a lot of dosh, at £80 in the UK, especially if I get one to convert to a FGR2. BTW, the new Italeri 1/32nd scale Sabre is very nice!

Tamiya 1/32 F-4E Phantom II

Tamiya 1/32 F-4C/D Phantom II

Apparently there are fit issues around the wings, and the exhaust nozzles are too small, the outer wing dihedral is too high, there are BDR patches all over it for some reason and the intakes apparently have a seam in them, though I don't notice what they're talking about, though none of them seem like all that difficult to fix, besides maybe the nozzles but personally that doesn't bother me a ton.

The Sabre would be cool! I just bought a Sabre though, so I don't think I'll go for that one. As for the F-4, I'm not even sure I'm going to buy it, but apparently they had two versions, the C/D and a later one with Navy markings on the front.

The second review I posted goes more in-depth into the issues.

Didn't buy the Phantom as it was $150, not $120! I don't really want to spend that much! Almost bought a Mossie FB for the Bombers GB but decided against it right now as I can always get it later as they're rather common, and I almost got a Leopard II. But for today my wallet will thank me.

Picked this one up at the post office this morning, as I wasn't in when they delivered it yesterday....
In time it'll become "J" from the No. 74 Squadron.

Attachments

• Showtime%20100.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 83
Nice one Jan, should look good as a RAF F4J(UK). That's a mouthful, innit?!
Don't blame you missing out on the Tamiya Phantom Cory, from the pics in the review, and the problems with the kit, I don't think it justifies the price. The old Revell one I converted years ago was as good (with a lot of extra work), for about a fifth of the price!

Users who are viewing this thread