Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've found two or three RAF desert scheme MkIX's, and some green/grey Italian based RAF ones too. Just got to figure a way of getting the pics from the PDF book! Might have to print then scan!

Terry, I guess it depends which program you use for viewing PDF files. I'm using Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional and in this program you can save entire PDF document as a picture.

Just do the fallowing: File -> Save as -> chose to save as JPEG format -> click Save... and that's all. Entire document is converted to picture JPEG format with each page converting to separate picture.

Last edited:
I've found two or three RAF desert scheme MkIX's, and some green/grey Italian based RAF ones too. Just got to figure a way of getting the pics from the PDF book! Might have to print then scan!

Terry the way Igor saves these PDF as pics is accessible with a full version af Acrobat Reader. Most of these Adobe free software cannot edit PDF files. If you want to get a JPG picture from the Reader you have to :

Step 1. Set the magnification of a page, a pic or area you want to copy.Usually I set bigger ratio 150-200%.
You can set this at the top right corner of the program screen.
Step 2. Click the camera icon on the top bar of the program.Then mark a pic for instance,
moving the mouse with pressed the left mouse button.Don't worry if a pic you want to copy
due to magnification is seen partially only.Moving the mouse to the bottom or a side
the screen scrolling is automaticly running.When the whole pic is inside a frame which appears
moving the mouse, release the left mouse button.You should hear a sound of a bell
and marked area, a pic should get dark colour. The pic is copied to the clipboard now.
Step 3. Don't close Adobe Reader but minimalize to an icon at the bottom Windows bar. Start Irfanview.
When opened, hit "Ctrl+V" keys to paste the copied pic from the clipboard.Then you can resize
it, correct and save as a JPG file.

that's all.:D

Last edited:
I'm on Adobe Acrobat 9, and all it will let me do is save the whole document as a PDF (which it already is !), or print the screen. If I can figure out how to do either of the things you or Wayne have suggested, I might be in business! I'll try both methods, thanks guys.
EDIT: crossing posts! Thanks Wojtek, I'll try that.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look. There is no camera icon, only the print icon. On the print menu, there's something called menu 2007 or something similar, which I haven't a clue about, but I can send the print to Cute PDF, and create a PDF for each page I want, and edit from there. So, I'll do some of that a bit later. Thanks again for your help chaps!

Did that Wojtek - nothing! I can send the page to One Note 2007, but the directions for use are very vague, so I binned that idea! I've done some for Jamie, on Bf110's, as separate PDF pages, and that seems to work fine. It would be easier for me to print what I need, scan, then crop and re-size as required, but my colour cartridge has just run out - again!
I'm about to select some stuff for Keith now, but he's having trouble with the forum pages running slow, according to his e-mail to me. I've had similar problems off and on over the last 2 or 3 days, but not as bad as he's having.
I think I need to learn a bit more about converting files etc, to make this sort of job easier and quicker!

Ah Ha! Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks Wojtek, all I need to do now is figure out how to use the clipboard - never done it before! I'm sure I'll manage though, everything else I've done, including design and digital profiles, I've learned myself so far !! I'll be back in awhile.....

Hi guys

done some searching on the net and came up with this on the ICM spitfire i am thinking of building in the GB

Spitfire Mk. IX,

ICM Kit Number 48061

Review written by Jarrod Cunningham

Photos taken by Steve Bamford.

Please note....these photos were taken of a different example of this kit....so Jarrod's comments don't always match the photos in this review.

Steve Bamford's review copy supplied by North American Hobbies.

I would like to start this review by stating that I am by no means a "Spitfire expert". I am mainly I guy who likes building models. I am using the Squadron's "In Action" book to identify differences in the versions offered in the kit. I am aware that there are better reference materials available, but for the purposes of this review, I think it will suffice. Now that I have the "disclaimer" in place, let's get to the "meat and potatoes" of it all.

I was very excited about the release of this kit since the previous Occidental kit fell way short of expectations. My purchase of this offering proved wise. In my opinion, this is one of the better kits of the Spitfire available at present. I do believe that ICM has got another winner with this one!
Click on picture below for larger image
Here's the whole kit

From out of the box, the kit comprises of ten sprues one of which is clear. The clear sprue is somewhat "cloudy" it will clean up a little better, but some may want to replace it with a Squadron canopy or other.
Click on picture below for larger image
Two complete canopies are included

The others are of a pale, almost white color and have a good "smooth" mold cast to them. Overall panel detail has recessed lines that are nicely done and rivet detail appears to be correct to scale. Flash is present but is nothing that a sharp #11 blade or a sanding stick can't correct. My kit has a little mold release grease/oil present, so I would recommend a thorough wash down before assembly.
Click on pictures below for larger images.

This spade grip should be round instead of square. More delicate detail

Upon further dissection there are sinkholes present on some assemblies. The most glaring ones appear around the upper and lower wing halves around the aileron areas as well as the trailing edge of the wing at the wing root and the rear of the gun bay. In my example they correspond with the inject release points on the inner part of the wing. Theses aren't really that catastrophic, and with a little filler or Mr. Surfacer can easily be corrected. Another area that has these present is the fuselage around the tail wheel. These correspond to the attachment point for the tail wheel assembly. These are also minor and can be easily corrected as well.

These wheels might not be accurate for a Mk. 9 Bit of flash can be seen on prop blade tips and elsewhere.

The main wheels also have them present, but these can be fixed with filler or just replaced with aftermarket wheels. The rockets included have sink marks in them as well but the same goes for them. Many RAF kits come with these and they can substituted if you choose not to fill these in. The last area that these were present was at the propeller blades around the base. These also aren't too bad, and can be fixed again with filler or Mr. Surfacer. All things aside, the bottom line is the kit does have sink marks, but ALL can be overcome with little detail loss in the process.

Blurry photo of prop cone. A good example of the flawless recessed panel lines to be found all over this kit.

I did have two areas that were incompletely molded. The first was the rudder pedals, the upper part missing. The second incomplete mold was the clear that I had received. I had one my canopies only partially molded. In this aspect of the kit, I have heard of other buyers having these problems and others who have not. I wonder if the Quality Control department may have changed personnel or inspection criteria thus causing such irregularities.

Plenty of beautifully molded engine pieces. Engine cowl might not fit over assembled engine.....check engine cowl fit in advance. Good photo of part of one of the bombs. There are delicate parts in this kit that are very well done.

There are several "extras" that do compensate for some of the kits flaws. The first that I would like to mention is the Rolls-Royce engine of good detail and separate cowls that allow the option of an exposed engine if the modeler desires. The second are a separate set of rear control surfaces for late and early marks of the aircraft. The wings can be "clipped", rounded or "extended". I have only seen the "extended" on the HF Mk. VI and the Mk. VIII, so these may fall into the "questionable zone" like I said I'm no expert. It appears that both a "C" wing as well as the "E" wing can be built with parts supplied in the kit. The ailerons can be positioned, as they are separate items. The Gun bays can also be displayed open if chosen. A "slipper" external tank is included with this kit, as is external stores. The stores offer two different bomb load out types, or external rockets. The bombs can be mounted on the centerline or wing stations. The external rockets haves separate rails and such have a better detail level.

Click on image below for larger image.
Instrument panel.

The cockpit appears to give the modeler the basics and with a little help would look very nice. The instrument panel although correct in shape, doesn't offer any instrument detail other than bezels. The kit offers decals for the instrument faces.

Right side of cockpit Left side of cockpit.

The fuselage has the cockpit door closed but can be opened similar to the Tamiya Mk.V series. A separate door is provided for those who choose to door this option. It looks like the walls of the cockpit have all the correct framing present, and the throttle quadrant and flap levers are molded accurately.

Gull wing effect is there in all it's glory. Slight indentation is missing, this indentation can be found on the full sized airplane.

The landing gear bays look to be represented correctly with the detail comparable to other Spitfire kits in 48th. Both landing struts are molded cleanly and will require only minimum cleanup. The tail wheel is molded as one piece, and it is a fair molding.

The best thing I think this kit offers is the "Merlin" engine option. It is a fine casting and depicts the engine quite well. The basics of the engine framing are included as well. The possibilities of displaying the engine out of the box are definitely there, since the separate engine cowlings are provided as well. With a little wiring added to the kit engine the results would be very pleasing. I like this for the reason that no other Spitfire kit offers this option from the box.

The decals provided look well printed, at least mine were. I have also heard that they have had some with some printed off register. I guess I was lucky this time. The markings give the modeler a very nice selection from which to choose. The fact that six different examples are present counts for something. All of these are fairly colorful, so the average modeler should be satisfied with the kit decals. If not, aftermarket ones are readily available.

In an overall view, I like what I see. It is not perfect by any means, but it is a better kit that what Occidental brought to the table. If you take the negatives with a "grain of salt" most modelers can over come the shortcomings and have a Mk. IX that is very nice. With some motivation and some "extra-cheese" (my accolade for aftermarket resin and such) in the cockpit, a truly outstanding model can be built. I would recommend this kit to the person looking to build a Mk. IX Spitfire.

Terry the clipboard is a piece of RAM memory.It is used by many programs.For instance, Word, Excel, Adobe Reader, Photoshop etc....Usually you can copy there quite huge pictures, texts etc.ANd then you can use these with other programs.The main problem is that some programs can delete the RAM area when closing .But most of these don't do that.That's way I suggested not closing the Reader but minimalizing to its icon at the bottom of Window bar.The clipboard contents can be paste to another program like Irfanview fro example.Simply start the pic browser without opening any documents ( pictures) and hit the "Ctrl+V" key combination.It is like working with a text block.Firstly you have to mark the text you want to copy from one document to another and then "Ctrl+C" or click the right mouse button on the text marked and choose from a menu "Copy" option.Then go to the another document and click the right mouse button again on a place where the copied text has to be paste and choose the "Paste" from the menu or hit the "Ctrl+V" keys for the same effect.

Thanks Wojtek! I'll try one step at a time, as I find 'computer logic' totally illogical!! When first designed, it probably made perfect sense to the 18 year old who designed it, but not to a 57 year old, 'traditional', normal-language speaking, not understanding 'tech-speak', logical thought process old fart like me!

I just bought Italeri's 1/72 Heinkel and the colors for the MTO build. Also got some testors non-buff aluminum, 2 jars = 1 alclad jar ($), so it might be a money saver if it looks the same! Although alclad chrome does put the whoop ass on other chrome wannabe's..

:)

D*mn you! D*mn you all! All this bl**dy talk about the Med/North Africa and Bf 110's, has forced me to buy this kit, and only do so because of the ZG 1 Wespe decals for Italy in '43!

D*mn you all! :lol: :oops:

Needless to say though, is that it was well under the recommnded price! :D

Attachments

• Eduard Bf 110G-2.jpg
    Eduard Bf 110G-2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 62
A wise choice Jan. If you want someone to blame for this wonderful purchase please feel free to use me as the scapegoat.

Bf 110. Feel the love. Accept no substitute.

Unless it's an Me 410. :D

I see one had ones arm twisted in order to purchase said kit old chap. Although, of course, it was the arm which normally controls the Guinness which did the twisting of the other arm, wasn't it? Nice! I believe it's an excellent kit, but then it would be, from Eduard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back