Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had that kit - unfortunately it's not very accurate. To be blunt, I just kept the cockpit, seat, control column, and prop (and the Kettenkraftrad, of course) , and gave the rest to my neighbour with missing parts substitited from other kits.
The ICM Bf 109Es are a much more accurate kit (on par with Tamiya in many ways) at the same price, if not cheaper.

Unfortunately I have to agree with A4k.I have all these model kitsl and there are some serious mistakes made.To begin with,
The bf 109E-3/4 has incorrect : the main landing gear wheels,the front part of its fuselage where MGs were mounted, the rear part of its fuselage behind the cockpit - the three first cross-sections there have wrong shape, the fin and rudder and some minor details.

The Ju-87G-1.Pay your attention to the wings.Long time ago Academy offered the Ju-87 kit for the B-2/R-2 version and the G-1 model is based on this one.It is correct because the B-2/R-2 wing was used for D-3 version from which the G-1 was developped.The wingspan for the G-1 mark should be 19.17cm.Unfortunately, Academy modified the wing and added some milimeters to get wingspan of 20.83 cm what responds to G-2 wing.To recall the G-2 version was a development of Ju-87D-5 with longer wing.Tha's all on the wing matter.
Now some mistakes.The main mistake is the engine covering ( simply the whole front part of the fuselage.Fortunately it is a detached segment)There is a lack of almost 4mm in its lenght.The main fuselage is a bit little base.But it is a common feature of all Ju87 1/72 scale miniatures.The second main mistake is a shape of the landing gear pants.And there are some minor mistakes but these are easy to correct.

thanks for the info and heads up guys! The only place I can go in town to get kits mainly stocks academy kits but they also have some airfix models there as well. What do you guys think of the quality of the airfix kits?

i wouldn't touch them myself, i tried building a few of their kits a few years ago and had nothing but trouble, i like trumpeter , tamiya , hasegawa and academy kits are pretty good but you could always buy a photoetch and resin detail kit to put on them aswell, get alot more detail that way

I don't mind Airfix Jason. Cheap and simple good for grafting your skills on.

Well priced too.

The above kits are great Hainus and the lovely detail sets but they are rather expensive, for me anyway.

I agree with Alex.:D Not all Airfix kits are of bad quality.For instance I have the old Airfix 1/72 scale Bf109E-3/4 kit and missing the point of the raised panel lines the model fits to drawings very good contrarry to the Academy one. But If somebody doesn't like the kind of models .....For me these can be used for getting better skills, for sure.

i agree with heinz re airfix,have had much fun bldg as a kid and built many different scales and types.if you can afford the tamiyas etc and are experinced it helps but i am happy to build academy,tamiya etc to improve my skills.

Have any of you ever built any kits by Araba? I just got their old 1/48 Ta-183 kit (it's a resin and white metal kit) And I was wondering if their kits usually fit good etc.

This is freaky Wayne :shock:

I just came home from a large shopping complex, saw one of those book sale things. Anyway I come away with Johnnie Johnsons book Full Circle - The Story of Air Fighting :shock:
Nothing else remotely related the WW2 in any detail, just self help books talk about a find!

on the same day........hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back