Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dirk, build 'em while your eyes are still good!

Well I couldn't resist picking up some good deals (and not so go deals) in the swap room at yesterday's model show that I attended.

The 109 G-6 cost 6 bucks. Replacement decals will proably cost me twice that.
The Revell Mosquito at $30 was tough to pass up as was the Tamiya 109E, my future BoB entry, at $20. Also, I decided to get the Italeri F-5A to save the amount of kitbashing needed on my Cold War GB. I talked the lass down and still overpaid at $15 but I figured it would save me a lot of headaches. Also managed to find a discontinued decal sheet for the CF-5A so, all in all a pretty good day.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 103
Done ok there Andy!

Scored a couple of new Decal sheets...:D

Want to do Gabreski's earlier P-47D on the Thunderbolt sheet

and a couple of Dora's on the eagle Cal sheet.

Attachments

• AN48786a.jpg
    AN48786a.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 92
  • EagleCals _11a.jpg
    EagleCals _11a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 87
Nice score Wayne I was after those 109 Dora decals yesterday off evilbay but was out bid but did manage to get some Anton ones along with some 4th FG P51 and a 1/48 Vampire which I will hopefully get in time to get it into the GB as the Airfix one went horribly wrong.

I bought this yesterday as a quick build:

IMG_0661.gif

It's now almost half done so I went back today and got these as well:

IMG_0660.gif

IMG_0659.gif

IMG_0658.gif

Just got to figure out what paints I need for the three I bought today then get them ordered online - I'm after acrylics because they airbrush easier and make less mess.

Just as an aside, the Spit appears to be a new issue and the detail is fantastic foe the scale and price - multi-part pilot, multi-part, detailed cockpit like the old 1/48 Airfix Spits and even cockpit detail moulded into the fuselage interior. Much better than I'm used to from Airfix 8)

Pics of all four in due course!

I'm getting ready to touch one with a hammer!

Count me in, the Defiant has already required a huge amount of sanding, and is about to require a huge amount of filler. There's a gap of about 3mm between the wings and fuselage on each side and I am seriously regretting painting before assembling, as most of the paint has subsequently bee sanded off :rolleyes: I consider it character building! :lol:

You should have got it Andy. The 1/48th Stuka was one of the kits which launched the Airfix 48th scale range, when they were in one of their 'good' phases, and is still a good kit today. I think it's going to be re-released, and I reckon an original, from the moulds of the late 70's / early 80's, will be better than a 'new' one, given the age of the moulds now. It was one kit I missed out on when I did a BoB display back in 1980, with one of each of the main partcipant aircraft, and could never get a hold of one before it was discontinued.

As a basic guide to Airfix kits, those first released from around the late 1970's up to the early to mid 1990's, are generally good, although by today's expectations, perhaps not as 'high tec' as some more recent kits, which is to be expected. Therer are a couple of exceptions, where overall the kit might be good, but can have a fit issue or similar problem (see my Bucanneer!!!). Prior to the above dates, the greater majority of Airfix kits were first released in the early to late 1950's, the 1960's and early 1970's, using, in most cases, the technology of the '50's, which was the norm across the model-production world, and the reason that these same kits, re-released now, are often castigated.
After around the early 90's, having acquired Heller, there was some re-boxing of the latter's kits, and also some Airfix kts manufactured, in France, by Heller, on behalf of the parent company. There was also re-boxing of other companies kits, such as Arri etc.
It's only in the last couple of years that genuine, new kits have started to appear, made, I believe, wherever gives the best deal! Unfortunately, the veteran kits which have been around for as long as I have (literally!), have been re-released at today's market prices which, seeing as they are sub-standard compared to current kits from others in general, can be seen as over-priced and poor quality by those who had not experienced what model kits used to be like.

This one for just over 20 camels....:D Will be built as the Swedish version, one with splinter camouflage, as the Swedish Air Force were interested in buying the TSR-2. 8)

Attachments

• Airfix_TSR-2_Boxtop.jpg
    Airfix_TSR-2_Boxtop.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Back