Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I want a 1/350 USS West Virginia BB-48 or something similar, but they cost a bl**dy fortune and a half!

I do know that Hobbylobby is changing the store around right now and had a USS Carolina for like maybe $83 in the Trump 1/350 scale.

Some good buys

2 today in preperation for the Battle of Britain Group Build

both from Revell in 1/32

Hawker Hurricane Mk I

and Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Nice buys Lanc. They'll both need a bit of work to get right, particularly the Hurricane, which started out as a MkIIc and will need a new prop and wheels, the latter not available yet. The Spit is not bad overall, but again could do with a set of resin wheels, which are available from a couple of companies.

Jamie (jamie rd) got a pro for his same Hurricane kit, but I can't remember the company. Maybe a PM to him will get the details.
The Hurricane will need to have the small cannon blisters removed, which can easily be sanded down, and the gun ports attended to, again fairly easy. The re-scribing of the gun hatches is straigtforward, and shouldn't take long. As for doing one or both, it depends on how long you'll think you need on each one. You could do both and, if one isn't finished by the end of the GB, no problem, just continue until it is! There's four months, so quite a bit of time.
I'm hoping that, due to the release of the Pacific Coast Models Hurricane (and others probably due) that someone will release some resin wheels, as I could do with some for my Hurricane, built over twenty years ago !

The latest additions for either the carrier based build or the pre-war build:

Monogram Boeing F4B-4
Revell Boeing P-26A Peashooter
Monogram Curtiss F11C2 Goshawk

All for the princely sum of 12$

And there might be a Matchbox P-12E to be added as well .........

Attachments

• F4B-4_2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 72
  • revell_p26a.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 73
  • mono6796.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 71
Love those colorful buckets of strings. Won a few awards about 20+ years ago with an Aurora F4B. Scratchbuilt the interior - in those days no PE I distinctly remember drilling dozens of holes in the framework to get it to look right.

Love those colorful buckets of strings. Won a few awards about 20+ years ago with an Aurora F4B. Scratchbuilt the interior - in those days no PE I distinctly remember drilling dozens of holes in the framework to get it to look right.

The yellow wing birds are just classics.

LOL Still no PE for the 1/72 kits afaik. There are resin cockpit sets for both of those planes though. I'll probably pass on those. I bought those for fun builds (although i will probably rig them) and the resin upgrades available for just the F4B-4 and the Goshawk cost more than all three kits. I already had to buy aftermarket decals for those three kits as the originals were pretty much useless.

Almost forgot, I have this one in the mix as well. Plan to do it as another Yellow wing bird.

Attachments

• bo9w.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Wow, I am massively envious I love the yellow wing era of the USN and USAAC, much like the FAA and RAF of the time all of the aircraft had buckets of character. Personal favorites of mine are the Curtiss Shrike and the Martin T4M Torpedo Truck; the T4M has never been kitted, AFAIK, and the Shrike is only available as a hugely expensive resin kit

Users who are viewing this thread