Recent Purchases (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bit more complex than that I'm afraid.
The roundels were certainly changed, but spinners, and AEAF stripes, varied in their changes.
Theoretically, all 2 TAF aircraft were supposed to have black spinners, from late 1943. However, various orders and counter orders, specific to Wings, changed this back to 'Sky' spinners for some units, and confusion arose, not to mention anger. The anger mainly due to aircrew asked to undertake low-level ground attack, with, suddenly, a 'Sky' spinner acting as a marvelous aiming point for light flak and other gunners!
Consequently, variations of 'regulation' and actual combinations of these markings can be found, although after about late July '44, the AEAF stripes were removed from upper surfaces, but again, this resulted in varied examples of the stripes presentation.
Bottom line- each specific aircraft needs to be checked for these details, depending on location, and dates - the latter sometimes measured in days.

About to hit the hay, so I'll have a look tomorrow.(Sh** , is that the time already!!??).
It's not as complex as it seems at first Cory - the stripes are fairly straightforward, as are the roundels. Spinners should be black, but factory or M.U. replacement aircraft arrived in 'standard' day-fighter scheme prior to January '45, and after, so, with no time to re-paint, they often went into immediate service as is.
Again, the date period, location, and more importantly, the specific airframe, dictates what was what.

...and also on paint stocks.
Read an article on RAAF CAC Boomerang camouflage, and though various changes were implemented, old stocks of paint had to be used up first, resulting in a real mixed bag of schemes and markings!

Scored these two for 6 bucks combined on Ebay....F-86 is missing Decals but Spitfire is new

Attachments

• Spitifre.jpeg
    Spitifre.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Sabre.JPG
    Sabre.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 79
Anyone have a HS-123 windscreen for the ESCI kit? Or Decals? I can send something back your way if you have this piece(s)

I can get one for 4 bucks but it doesnt have decals or windscreen...hmmmm

Last edited:
Good stuff chaps. Can't help on the HS 123 Harrison, but the windscreen can probably be made from a piece of clear sheet, and decals from various sheets, not necessarily specific to the aircraft type.

.... but the windscreen can probably be made from a piece of clear sheet, and decals from various sheets, not necessarily specific to the aircraft type.

Yep.. especially that the cockpit is the "open" type and the windshield consisted of 3 glasses only. Oh.. I have forgotten ... flat glasses.

Last edited:
I think the Best Decision i ever made was selling the Hobbycraft Do-17 E and Do-17 F in 1/48 scale...bought both for 15 and sold them for 40 each. I was never going to build them. Had too much trouble with Do-17Z I'm working on!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back