Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

THX gents.Here a couple of pics with details A4K asked for.

Attachments

• armament dep covering.jpg
    armament dep covering.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 24
  • cockpit interior1.JPG
    cockpit interior1.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 25
  • cockpit interior2.JPG
    cockpit interior2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 24
  • cockpit interior2a.jpg
    cockpit interior2a.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 29
  • cockpit interior3.JPG
    cockpit interior3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 24
  • wheels1.JPG
    wheels1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 26
  • pilot panel2.JPG
    pilot panel2.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 28
  • pilot panel1.jpg
    pilot panel1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 27
  • engine cpwling .jpg
    engine cpwling .jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 24
  • cocpit interior.JPG
    cocpit interior.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 26
  • wheels5.JPG
    wheels5.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 25
  • wheels4.JPG
    wheels4.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 26
  • wheels2.jpg
    wheels2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 27
so Minicraft uses resin instead of injected plastic? I've noticed this when i assembled the Beechcraft Bonanza and the Cessna 150. I have a feeling I'll encounter the same thing with the B-24J

EDIT: sorry, for some reason I got directed to the third page. lol

looking nice, Wojtek!

Thanks Wojtek!
To be honest it seems almost a perfect copy of the Revell A-8 kit in many respects (apart from the differences between the marks of course).
Tamiya's engine and wheels look better (tread pattern is misaligned in Revell kit), but the Revell instrument panel seems to be more detailed (cockpit too, but I guess there are detailed side consoles to be fitted judging by the holes)

Yep , there are two side consoles that are looking good as well.But I think it a "bow" towards photo-etched parts. All cockpit parts can be easy replaced by these PE ones.

True my friend! My only problem with PE parts is that even a cheap kit becomes bloody expensive with these things added, let alone starting with an expensive kit - like the Hasegawa Fw 190A-8 I'm doing - absolutely incorrect and undetailed cockpit tub. Luckily the form is right for the basis of the 190S-5, -8 and A-8/U1 rear cockpit, so guess where mine will be going...:) (The Hasegawa A-8 will get a Revell cockpit)

True my friend! My only problem with PE parts is that even a cheap kit becomes bloody expensive with these things added, let alone starting with an expensive kit - like the Hasegawa Fw 190A-8 I'm doing - absolutely incorrect and undetailed cockpit tub. Luckily the form is right for the basis of the 190S-5, -8 and A-8/U1 rear cockpit, so guess where mine will be going...:) (The Hasegawa A-8 will get a Revell cockpit)

I understand you fully.That's way I prefere making them by my hand to buying these "plates".On the other hand, is there any reason to spend a lot of money for 1/72 scale additional parts when these aren't visible in a cockpit very often?

Some very nice detail for the small scale, Wojtek. Moulding techniques have come a very long way in recent years.
I agree about spending lots on PE etc, when the parts can be made, and it all adds to the 'fun' and sense of achievement. And you're right, why spend money on lots of parts, most of which won't be seen? Still, each to their own.

As I've finally been paid for my last commissioned painting, I've been able to get my own digital camera, at last! I was going to go for a true digital SLR, but couldn't really justify the cost for the somewhat limited range of photography I do these days, plus I still have my 35mm SLR's and lenses, so I decided on a 'hybrid', a cross between a Digital SLR and Digital compact. With 12x zoom, providing the equivalent of a 386mm lens, and Super Macro, with 10 megapixels, it should satisfy my photographic needs. Also means I can finish the photography guide!
But, now for the interesting stuff!
The Hasegawa Bf109G6, 1/48th scale, should arrive at the model shop tomorrow, but the Revell 1/32nd scale Hunter was delivered to my door today!
I've been after one of these, the F6 version, since the FGA9 first appeared 10 years ago, but they always sold out too quickly!
I must publicly thank Ian (Lanc) of Trumpeter Lightning fame, for putting me on to the special offer available through Model Zone. This kit normally retails at £25, which is excellent value for money, considering the very large size of the kit, and the excellent detail included. But, on offer, it is available at a measly £9.99! How could I resist?
I'll post a mini-review shortly, and a build story when I start on it, which won't be for awhile yet. I'll more than likely do it as an aircraft from 66 Sqn., R.A.F., who were based at my 'local' R.A.F. field when I was a youngster, back in the late 1950's, early '60's.
The kit is as beautiful as the real thing, and all the reviews and photos I've seen to date, indicate that a very nice replica can be produced. The parts, in a huge box, are beautifully moulded, and there's lots of good detail, even two slightly different ejection seats are included which, even 'out of the box', would be very acceptable; with a little bit of work, they (or one at least!) should look superb.
I think I might be having a (very) short break from modelling, whilst I get to grips with the new camera, but, for now, here's the pics of the bits!

Attachments

• Buys 006.jpg
    Buys 006.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Buys 007.jpg
    Buys 007.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Buys 010.jpg
    Buys 010.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 27
Nice buys Terry! That camera looks the dogs! :thumbleft:

I bought some grassy stuff today, I want to put it on a base I'm going to use for my GB 109. Any tips on using it?

SL381703.jpg

Thanks M and Wojtek. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with both purchases!
M, I don't recognize the brand, and can't make out what it looks like in the pics. If it's 'static grass', sort of hairy fibres, like short blades of grass, what you do is apply a light coat of adhesive to the base, spray adhesive is probably best, sprinkle on the 'grass', and let it set for a short time. Then, up end the base-board, shake and tap off the excess, lay the board flat, and blow across it! The 'blades' then start to stand up. A quick brush, using a nail brush, clothes brush or whatever, lightly, gives it a quick static charge, and it stands up more - hey presto! 'static' grass!
If it's 'tufts', then, depending on the size, or if they're in 'clumps' you might have to drill holes and 'plant' each tuft. Some 'tufts' are like a clump of string, and can be glued down, then teased out, to form a layer. I'd need to see a clearer pic to advise further mate, and/or a description, if you can.

Look what I got,look what I got!I saw a build of this kit done by Chris over at LSP and it came out beautiful.It's an easy build of a unique aircraft in 1/32 and I don't think its still in production.Entex the manufacter??never heard of.Cheers Kevin

Attachments

• bf109 085 (600 x 450).jpg
    bf109 085 (600 x 450).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 27
  • bf109 086 (600 x 450).jpg
    bf109 086 (600 x 450).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 27
  • bf109 087 (600 x 450).jpg
    bf109 087 (600 x 450).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 28
Great buys guys.

Jan with the grass what Terry suggested is on the money. After its dry you can also pass a balloon or piece of cellophane over the grass and the static will pull the grass upwards.

What are you using for a base Jan? If its MDF or something similar make sure you seal it first which you probably will with a coat of paint or something.

Cheers.

I take it it's the older Hasegawa kit?

No, Cory, it's the 1990's new tooling ('D-day anniverary' edition). I do have the 70's A-8 aswell though.

I understand you fully.That's way I prefere making them by my hand to buying these "plates".On the other hand, is there any reason to spend a lot of money for 1/72 scale additional parts when these aren't visible in a cockpit very often?

You're right my friend, of course, I'm just too much of a perfectionist and try to make thing as close to the original as possble (although I'm usually the only one who appreciates the detail in the end :( )

Sorry too if my observations sound like nitpicking! I'm aware they could be read both ways, but Im really just an accurate detail nut! :)

Great advice with the grass too Terry and Alex! I never knew how to use it, so just bought a 1 X 1 m. roll of it.

Hope the 'grass' works out - the rolls are great for covering a large, relatively smooth area. If you want 'bare' patches, dappen the required area, and scrape off the 'grass'. Keep the 'scrapings', as these can be used for rough areas, clumps, weeds etc.
Kevin, that kit looks interesting. I haven't seen Entex for many years - I think they packed up in the early '80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back